Chapter 1: My simple singleton self

Hey guys! Here's a new story I've just uploaded: Ten Signs She's A Keeper. I really, really hope you all like it seeing as it's been an idea of mine since forever. Violet x

Image: Kaya Scodelario as Arissa Hadley

NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO PUBLISH MY WORK ON THIS WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER. THIS INCLUDES THE COVER, TITLE, SUMMARY, CHARACTERS AND PLOT. Sorry but I have to do this. Thank you :)

Chapter 1: My simple singleton self

I've never had much luck when it came to love. I've never had that ridiculous cliché love-struck moment where I met the love of my life and almost instantly realised that he was the one like the stupid chick flicks my sister, Aurora, is obsessed with.

No, my sisters were always the ones tripping themselves up in love. Alina, who was the eldest of us four girls, was a dancer specialising in ballet and ballroom. She had, what I jokingly called, a light switch relationship with Gavin, her dancing partner of seven years. They were constantly on/off with each other. One week he would be her moon and stars – all that mushy, romantic stuff sprinkled with an extra layer of cheese. However by the next week they would be sworn enemies, passionately hating each other until someone (usually Gavin) would make up and it would be all kisses and hugs after that. It was all very 'French', all very entertaining but the relationship was about as healthy as a sugar rush to a little, already super- hyperactive kid. But the two lovebirds never separated, never drifted apart even when they weren't, well, lovey-dovey. Gavin was the only boyfriend Alina ever had and probably the only boyfriend she will ever want to have. They could never let each other go which was kind of sweet now that I think about it but also terribly annoying. You seriously have no clue how hard it is to refrain yourself from going all Elsa on them and singing 'Let it go' (off key, may I add. Aurora's the one with the musical talent). However my mother, being the delusional, bat-shit crazy woman she usually was, thought their relationship was adorable and would proudly state that 'love comes with its dark days' in that worldly, I – know –all tone of hers she knew I hated with a burning passion. I'd just say "Sod Gavin, Alina. Go with Pasha off Strictly, you know the one with the cute accent?"

I can't say that anymore though seeing as he's currently going out with Rachel Riley. I really couldn't say that in the first place seeing as all of the pros on Strictly have ridiculously cute accents but seriously! I mean, in what world can a girl be a mathematician yet still insanely pretty at the same time? I'll tell you what world. This goddamn one. Yup, the very one where I am doomed to be single for the rest of my days. Gah! Why does life have to be so unfair?

Ava's love life was thankfully saner. She met Matthew 'Just-call-me- Matt-please' Carlson when they were both studying at University. She was studying Art and Design, or majoring in Art and Design as my American friend Chloe McKay would say, whereas Mattie boy was studying Architecture. They were introduced to each other by their friends at some sort of social event and instantly clicked. Since then they have been solidly dating for three years and moved in with each other a year ago, sharing a penthouse apartment in the centre of London (trés fancy, ne c'est pas?) and just two months back, Matt proposed to Ava in one of the most romantic places in the world, Venice. Now I am not a big, hopeless romantic like my dear sister Aurora but that was seriously an aww-worthy moment.

Well played, Mattie boy, well played.

The main reason why Ava and Matt were so undeniably perfect together however was that they were one of those cutesy couples everyone envied. They did everything together, literally everything and were always so happy and genuine with one another. That didn't mean they never argued; they bickered like hell. Despite having common interests and well-suited personalities there were times when they contrasted each other but this just made them all that more admirable as a couple.