Chapter 21: Outdoors

-

When the song ended, the dance ended as well. Steve and I pulled away, but our hands were still in a lock. We headed to the table where Meredith and Soda were standing. "Are we ready to go?" I asked as I took a last drink of my glass.  They all looked at me and nodded. We headed out as we laughed and danced.

I got in the drivers seat and and Steve sat next to me. With Mer and soda behind us. I pulled out.

"You guys brought an extra bag of clothes right?" I asked as I got on the road. I could tell they all just stared at eachother.

"A bag of clothes. For what?" Steve asked.

"Didn't I tell you guys? We're going up to my cabin in the outskirts of Tulsa for the weekend." I said as I contemplated on which store could be open this late at night to buy clothes. But simply agreed that Mer and I could use clothes I already have there and Steve and Soda could use some clothes from Leo.

"Shoot I guess we forgot." Mer said.

"It's fine. We can stop at a store if y'all want." I said as I turned into the freeway. It was about to be a long drive.

-

It was about six in the morning when we finally arrived to the cabin. It wasn't that far away, but considering it was midnight when we left and we took a LOT of breaks, the trip extended. We got out and headed inside the cabin. There were two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. I took my heels off and sighed at the immediate relief. Steve laughed. "You tired?" He asked.

"A little." I said flirtatiously and smiled. He looked at me. I sat on the couch and turned the tv on. Meredith sitting next to me as soda and Steve headed to the kitchen.

"How are you and Steve going?" She asked.

I turned to look at her and sighed. "If I'm being honest, things are moving slow. I kinda just want to rush up to him and kiss him but he may not like it. But anyway, how was last night with you and soda?" I asked changing the topic. I didn't really feel like talking about Steve and I. We both got up and headed to my room, changing out of our dresses and into other clothes.

-

"Y'all are going out?" I asked as I checked the time. It was twelve o'clock.

"Yeah, soda and I want to go to town and get some more clothes and food for the night. You wanna come?" Meredith asked.

I shook my head. "I'm gonna take a walk." I said. Meredith sighed and walked out with soda. I put my sandals on and headed out the door. I walked around to the backyard to where the lake was. I leaned against the Wodden fence and took a deep breath.

"I thought you were going with Mer and Soda?" I heard a voice say, as they too leaned against the fence next to me. I turned my head to see Steve.

"Nah, those two are gonna be gone for a good couple of hours." I said. He took a big breath. There was a sound of an airplane flying through the air.

"You know when I was a kid, I always wanted to fly an airplane." he said. I turned around and sat on the fence.

"What changed?" I asked.

"Nothing did. My dad always told me that I needed to be more to be a pilot. And well, cars were like my second passion. So I thought. 'Well why settle for less when I can fix cars 'nd drive 'em around?' So that's what I'm doing. Driving and fixin' cars." He said.

"You'd make a great pilot you know?" I said as I looked at him. He looked at me. I slightly looked away as I felt myself blush. And I was surprised with a bee flying in front of me and to me. "Shit a bee!" I yelled.

I swatted my hands. And moved backwards. And in that attempt, I ended up falling backwards with a scream. I felt the cold water stabbing my warm body like a thousand knifes. I moved my hands and got to the surface. Gasping for air and then seconds later, falling back down. This is when swimming lessons could really come in handy.

I soon felt my body relax. And slowly getting warmer and warmer. I felt a cold breeze and slowly came back to my senses. I slowly opened my eyes and when my vision adjusted, I saw Steve drying my legs with a warm towel. I stayed still since I couldn't really move. I closed my eyes again.
I felt a warm hand wrap my hand. I smiled and opened my eyes again. I saw Steve looking at me. He smiled and kissed my hand.

"And you never thought of telling me you don't know how to swim?" He asked. I softly chuckled.

"Well, I would've sometime, but I didn't know you would find out by me drowning." I said. He stared at me deep in my eyes. I sat up more. He sat infront of me on the bed. In that moment, I couldn't find the right words to describe how I felt. I just got lost in his eyes. I felt like I was drowning all over again. Except this time I was drowning in his eyes. It's like he was taking my breath away. So all I did was kiss him...