Mind Games

Word had been getting around the castle

Word had been getting around the castle. That Kurami girl, she had won the tournament and her coronation was planned to be sometime later in the day. It was while we were studying up more on Imanity in the library, that we were greeted once again, by Steph. No cookies or tea this time....shame. Though she looked rather teary-eyed.

Y/N: "Where've you been?"

Steph: "The finale of the tournament was held in the throne room so I thought I'd stop by to see who would...."

Her voice breaks and and starts to trail off. Can I really blame her, though? She had a lot to live up for only for some stranger to take it all away from right underneath her. Through cheating, no less.

Sora: "Steph, tell me. What made you want to rule Elkia?"

Steph: "Well...I..."

Y/N: "You wanted to save Elkia, didn't you?"

She nods.

Steph: Pretty much. You see, when my grandfather was gambling for land to help Elkia grow, he never won and people hated him for it, giving him the title of the Foolish King. But even though he was resented by his subjects, he never lost faith in them, nor Imanity. Whether or not we could use magic or whatever rank we were was completely irrelevant to him. He believed that if we worked hard enough, then we would eventually win. If I could become ruler and take back our territory, then I could restore my grandfather's name and prove he wasn't just some foolish king."

I guess he did have good intentions

I guess he did have good intentions. He really was a good king at heart. But is that really enough here? What good is faith if you can't even live up to your word? If you truly wish to have the heart to make such boisterous claims around here, then you better be ready to back it up.

Sora: "I admire how you say such a thing with that much conviction...

...but that dream isn't coming true, Steph."

Steph looks at him with shock in her eyes. Before she can speak up, we hear the faint sound of outside church bells. Guess the coronation is ready to take place. We all get up and leave the library, heading toward the church.