Where am I? (2)

Sophie didn't know what she had just ate, but if she had to compare it to something, she would have said it was like dried chicken with no flavoring. Well, Sophie figured most meats would end up tasting like chicken in a way. While the taste didn't suit her palette, it was enough to fill her stomach. She hadn't realized how hungry she actually was until she started eating. The herbs and tea helped her feel better, and although she was in pain, she felt like it was manageable.

The meal had been quiet, and nobody really talked during the time they ate. Sophie could see that they all felt uncomfortable, but it furthered Sophie's reason for pushing the topic on magic and why Roan felt like he shouldn't have said anything. She felt suspicious, which was hard on her since she also felt grateful that they had helped her out when she was literally about to die. Sophie wasn't foolish though. She knew she needed to know more information about this world if she wanted to survive.

"I think it's time to have a few things addressed," Sophie announced once everyone had finished cleaning up from dinner. The camp fire crackled from the logs, and Roan was first to speak from the silence.

"Go on."

"First, I need to know your impression of me. Roan believes I can create ice using what you call Sol, and I need to know why it seemed like you said something you shouldn't have."

Roan sighed. The other glanced at each other with an awkward look.

"I shouldn't have assumed that you were part of the Lazuli Kingdom. You look like their people, but they're so secluded and secretive... The amount of Sol they have seems endless, so that's why I assumed making a little bit of ice would be easy for you."

"Okay, but that doesn't explain why you held back when I asked. Just because I look like them..."

"The Lazuli are a proud kingdom. They hardly interact with other kingdoms, and if they do, they're very temperamental. People that look like you... well, there are only people who descend from the Lazuli kingdom that look like you. That's why we assumed." Celia joined in, trying to explain.

"Yeah but that doesn't..." Sophie held her tongue for a moment to think. "Just... let's say I don't have much knowledge of this world. In all honesty, I woke up with very little memories. It's a bit frustrating, but I'm kinda walking around blind right now."

"So you're saying you lost your memory?" Celia asked.

"Yeah, like maybe I hit my head too hard or a part of me was sealed by ma- the power of Sol." Honestly, Sophie thought this whole explanation was stupid. Any sane person would look at her and see straight through her lies. However, she had read so many isekai-like stories that memory loss was a very common trope. Hopefully, there was a kind of magic/Sol that existed in this world.

"Hm, sealing one self would be very difficult to accomplish, but I have heard of a few cases. Those were meant for the more dangerous and powerful criminals though..." Roan trailed off. Roan, Sige, Celia, and Arthur all glanced at Sophie.

Well, shit.

"Ah, the Lazuli wouldn't seal her because she was a criminal though. They wouldn't have let her go out of their kingdom in the first place." Sophie looked at Arthur in surprise. This was the first time he talked, and unsurprisingly, he had a rough-like voice that matched his burly body. Sophie mentally laughed, although this was not the time to be laughing around.

"Maybe she was kidnapped and then sealed? So she couldn't get back to the Lazuli?"

"I know the Lucerne Kingdom has been trying to gather Lazuli intel lately. It's got the neighboring kingdoms worried because it'd break the peace between the five kingdoms."

"Are you saying that they tried to kidnap her? Why would they seal her though?"

"What if she sealed herself to prevent the Lucerne Kingdom from finding out confidential information? I wouldn't be surprised if she could do that."

"Hm, you're right. I've heard that Lazuli have done some crazy chants before."

"That one guy... Cohan, he's Lazuli right? Didn't he perform an incredible Sol chant where he made it rain in the kingdom for 3 straight days?"

"Yeah, that was during the worst drought in the past 10 years! They did it as a political performance to not only show off power, but to show friendly relations with our kingdom."

"Okay," Sophie interrupted the chatter from the group. She had realized that they were starting to get in a deeper conversation that she would not be able to understand and she needed them to get back on track of explaining to her the basics of this world.

"Getting back on topic. You're all saying that I look like the people from the Lazuli Kingdom and that you were hesitant about me because they're very secretive and rare to see. I guess you thought I could have either been a criminal or someone with an ulterior motive?"

"Well, that and... not going to lie, you are a little weird." Celia replied. And then, realizing what she had said, she followed with, "I mean, you losing your memory because you got sealed makes a lot more sense of why you're weird. You just seem... very naive."

Sophie couldn't help but crack a small smile from her lips. She knew she was probably weird and suspicious to them, but they were being very upfront with her. In a way, Sophie appreciated it. At first, she was wary of the group even though they helped her, but she felt like they were all good people.

"Until we get to the city gates, would it be okay if I ask more questions about the kingdom? I would like to be able to pay you guys back somehow, but I can't do that until I get a better understanding of who I am and where I am," Sophie said in a shy voice.

"Ah, I guess we don't have much choice. We did decide to take you under our wing until we make it to the city gate," Celia replied. A small smile formed from the edges of her lips.

"Roan will be your guide!" Roan looked at Celia, and gave a small chuckle.

"Guess that means I'm on first watch if I'm going to be busy tomorrow."

"Mmm, take care of us while we sleep soundly," Celia replied in a joking manner.

As everyone started to get move around to prep for the morning, Sophie laid herself on the ground and curled herself into the wool blanket. The ground was hard and dirty, but there were no spare sleeping equipment and it was great that she even got a nice blanket to keep herself warm throughout the night. Sophie felt so thankful. There were a lot of shitty things happening to her, but she felt so fortunate that she got to encounter the people before her. They showed kindness to a stranger, and even accepted her lame excuse of why she was knowledge-less.

"Here, use this for your head."

Sophie looked up and saw Roan hand her his backpack.

"Ah, thank you," Sophie said, smiling. He gave a small nod and then walked off. Putting the backpack under her head, Sophie closed her eyes and focused on the falling asleep. The crackling of the fire and the rustling of the tree leaves felt serene. Soft scuffles of feet became silent as the rest of the group began their slumber, and the sound of her breath was softly heard only by her.