Chapter 8: Bumble

After the Clarence incident, you may think that I have stopped online dating apps for good. You couldn't be more wrong.

Sure, it was traumatizing at the very least, but I just believe that there's a lot of good people out there and I guess I have learned a thing or two about red flags so I guess that tragic experience won't happen again.

So yeah, your boy Lewis explored Bumble too since it doesn't have the same reputation as Tinder.

When I started, matches came very slow, but after a few days, it was raining matches. 

At the peak of my Bumble escapade, I was talking to 16 guys. I don't think it's really something to be proud of but man was that a tiresome feat!

Among the safety nets I set in place to prevent a Clarence-like experience, I made sure that this time, I'll actually meet the person I'm talking too. 

There's a lot more to learn about a person when you're talking with him in person, right? And of course, doing this will definitely ward a catfish off.

I didn't intend to meet all of them though as it would require an awful lot of time and money, so I had to eliminate some options. 

Please don't get me wrong. I believe all of us are entitled to our preference on who to date. That's why I intend to meet them so I can get to know them better.

And about trying to meet one guy after the other, there's an unwritten rule in dating apps that once must assume non-exclusivity until acknowledged otherwise by both parties, as a lot are trying to meet as much as they can in search of their perfect match. My intention anyway is to befriend them first, and if it goes well, then I believe it would evolve on its own.

Out of all the guys I've matched with and talked to in Bumble, I met six. Most of the rest disappeared on their own.

***

The first Bumble match that I met was Anthony

The first Bumble match that I met was Anthony. Anthony was a tall guy who likes to baby talk to be all cutesy. He's a web designer.

Anthony and I decided to meet at the cinema. 

When I got to the venue, he already had tickets for us.

The movie went fine, but I'm not sure if he was as focused in watching as I was because I can see in my peripheral vision that he was looking at me every now and then.

Afterwards, we went to one of my favorite restaurants to have dinner. We didn't really get a chance to talk at the cinema so that's when we started introducing ourselves to one another.

I had a second date with Anthony at a Starbucks near work. Unfortunately, I really had a lot of work to do that day and so I couldn't stay too long. When we I went to Starbucks, he already had something ordered for me. On top of that, he had a bag full of sweets for me. There were a bunch of difference chocolates, wafer sticks, and pretzels. There was also a letter for me inside the bag.