Chapter 6

Her eyes slowly opened the next morning to the hot snoring atmosphere. Directly against her back, Michael's naked torso was flat up against her clothed one, his soft snoozing audible against her ear and his arm resting slack over her arm.

Despite how it looked she, for one of the rare moments in her life, had gotten to experience how it felt to fall asleep next to a man who didn't expect her to be at his disposal and naked at his side.

The two lay sandwiched together with nowhere else to go on Michael's single bed that they had cramped in and shared the whole night.

Opposite them Tito snored heavily in their direction.

When she moved to get up Michael's grip suddenly tightened on her just before his eyes slowly opened and he blinked lazily at her.

"Oh...Good morning." He'd smiled at her and she couldn't help but smile stupidly back. "Did you sleep well?" he'd asked her. She nodded, her eyes glowing like bright passionate orbs.

"Good...I'm glad one of us did." He whispered gripping his chest and raising his brows as though he'd been squashed up the whole night. She nudged him and rolled her eyes before she bent down and collected her shoes at the base of the bed. "Wait, you're not leavin' yet are you?" Michael had asked her with intrigue, and she'd felt the smile fade from her lips at the sight of their now intertwined hands on the bed. "Stay." His gentle voice had uttered. "I would love it if you stayed a little longer."

*

Breakfast with the Jacksons was quiet to say the least. She shovelled scrambled eggs into her mouth to the chorus of chomping mouths dotted around the room.

"So...Lia." Marlon attempted to strike up a conversation and Michael had instantly hit him with a defensive look. "I know you and my brother have been knowing each other for some years now, how long has it been?"

"Very long." Michael answered for her. They gazed between each other and Marlon waved a hand that indicated he would leave the topic alone. The awkward silence soon dried up as the chorus of chomping mouths continued

Ramel had woken up and gone to the kitchen without saying a word to any of them. Lia had quickly sprung up from her place on the sofa and followed him, approaching him quietly once they were out of ear shot.

"Morning." She'd said jamming her hands into her back pockets. He'd turned to look at her then turned back to the cup he had set out on the side. Lia cleared her throat softly in response to his icy silence. "Hey, thank you for picking me up at the beach last night. I don't know how you found me but I'm glad you did." She said as he picked up a plate for himself.

"Yeah..." he grumbled. Almost without thinking she took his plate from him and began to shovel food onto it for him. She handed it back to him and he simply took it shooting her an awkward look.

"Uh thanks..." He finally said and left her standing in the kitchen alone. She had no time to ponder on his weird behaviour because Michael soon appeared behind her.

"How about...we get gone?" His high yet mischievous voice had whispered in her ear as he leaned past her and scraped his plate into the metal trash can.

*

"You look like your brothers." She'd said as they walked slowly side by side down a deserted field. In the distance children could be heard playing soccer on a dusty pitch. They followed the light trail all the way down and struck gold when the fairly empty old park they used to play in came into view.

"Yeah..." Michael's shy voice had laughed in a fashion that was fairly misplaced considering the simple comment. She raked a hand through her hair and reached into her back pocket drawing out a pink lighter as two boys eyed them on their way past. She'd felt their stares penetrating her exposed flesh below her shorts.