Changed Boys, Changed Worlds

Eighth Year
Harry walked into the DADA classroom, taught by Remus, with Ron and Hermione, and took his seat next to Malfoy. He gave the blond boy a grin. Since the war, the Eighth Years had made peace with each other and forgot about petty House rivalries. Malfoy returned the grin with a small, reserved smile. Harry pondered on where all of Malfoy's overconfident smirks and attitude had gone.

"Alright, class. Today we will be learning how to conjure a Patronus charm. I'm well aware that many of you know how to do this already," Remus paused here to look at Harry, who grinned. "But there are many of you who don't know, and I think it's important to know. I'm aware that Hogwarts does not traditionally have Patronus charms in its curriculum, and you might not need it now, but I still think it is helpful."

Remus began explaining the charm and how you had to use a powerful memory. Then he asked Harry to demonstrate. Malfoy looked surprised at how well Harry was able to conjure one. When Remus allowed everyone to start practicing, he had Harry walk around to help people. Some of the other DA members helped their seat-mates as well.

"Hey, Potter?" Malfoy's soft voice interrupted Harry's scan of the room.

"Yeah?" Harry looked back at Malfoy, who seemed to be nervous and embarrassed.

"I don't really get it. How do you..." he trailed off and waved his wand. Harry's gaze softened.

"That's alright. It isn't supposed to be easy. The incantation is easy. 'Expecto Patronum'. It's the intention that's hard. You have to think about your happiest memory. The first time I tried, I thought of the first time I rode a broom, but something like that isn't nearly powerful enough. It has to be extremely happy and powerful," Harry explained, hoping he wasn't rambling. Malfoy nodded.

"What if you don't have any powerful happy memories?" Malfoy whispered, looking down at the ground. Harry couldn't stop himself from reaching out to lift Malfoy's face so he could look directly into his eyes.

"I believe people like that have nothing to live for. They would welcome to dementors. You wouldn't welcome the dementors. I know you don't give up. You have something to live for. What do you live for, Draco?" Harry replied, finally letting his hand drop.

"You-you called me Draco," he said stunned. He unconsciously reached up to where Harry had been holding him, gently brushing the area. Harry blushed.

"Oh, sorry. Is that okay?"

"Yes! Yes, of course, it's okay," Draco replied. "Thank you, Harry." Harry nodded, still blushing.

"Try it," he encouraged. Draco shut his eyes and took a breath. He inhaled deeply.

"Expecto Patronum!" Wisps of a Patronus fizzed out from the tip of his wand. They clumped together for a second as though they were going to solidify into an animal, but then they dissolved.

"I'm never gonna get it," Draco whispered, looking dejected.

"Yes, you will," Harry replied firmly. "You said you don't think you have a strong enough memory? Then we're gonna make some."

~~~

On Friday, Harry asked Draco if he would accompany him to Hogsmeade the next day. Draco said yes. So they were walking to Hogsmeade. They went to the Three Broomsticks, found a quiet place to sit in the back, and ordered butterbeer. Ron and Hermione had gone ahead, and Draco's friends didn't come.

"So, Draco," Harry started, looking at him across the table. "What do you like to talk about?"

"What?"