Chapter Two

Ella

Ella

Arrival

Against my better judgement, I am on the flight Kofi booked for me. Shockingly, the flight to Ghana is starting better than I expected. I was nervous about traveling alone but everything is running impeccably smooth. A friendly flight attendant greets me as I board the plan. I peek at the name tag and see that her name is Grace. Shortly after finding my seat, she brings me wine, silk pajamas, crisp linens, and a full gourmet menu for my direct flight into Accra.

Sitting in my seat, taking in the luxury around me, I realize that everything about this trip is over the top, causing my mind to wander to Kofi. While I've found myself annoyed with his overall pushy behavior, he seems to have spared no expense for my travels. My impeccable manners overrule my annoyance and I begrudgingly fire off a thank-you email.

Dear Your Majesty,

Thank You for the enhanced first-class accommodations. Though I still find this trip unnecessary and your insistence upon it a bit high-handed. I am determined to make the best of it and provide you with an unparalleled proposal for public schooling in Kumasi.

Yours in the Work,

Ella Jenkins

CEO, Revolution Academies

Conscious now clear, I sink into a plane seat, which is more comfortable than any chair I have in my home.

All I want to do is sleep, but the amenities keep me awake for the first half of the trip. I sample at four bottles of wine. I eat a filet-mignon dinner served with roasted fennel and potatoes that are to die for. After dinner, I catch up on Insecure episodes through the entertainment portal and drift off to sleep. I wake to the voice of our captain.

"We are approaching Accra and will land in 20 minutes. The current time in Accra is 9:00pm and the weather is partly cloudy with a temperature of 28 degrees Celsius, 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Please stay seated and buckled until the seat belt sign is turned off. All electronics should be placed in airplane mode. Thank you and welcome to Accra."

Shit. I'm here. What am I doing? I have no idea how to interact with this man. I refuse to blow this contract. From our two phone calls and dozen emails I deduce he's an arrogant ass. If what the tabloids say is true, he's with a different woman every month. I have no patience for a man like that, so I am not worried about falling for this arrogant, yet gorgeous ass.. I spent eight years of my life trying to build something with a man like that. It was a disaster. I won't be pushed around, and Kofi doesn't strike me as a man who is used to not getting his way. I just hope these next thirty days go smoother than I expect them to go.

Once we land, I quickly head to the restroom to freshen up my face and hair. I'm wearing my softest pair of skinny Frame Jeans and a blue silk off the shoulder blouse that billows when I walk. Once in the restroom I swap my Adidas for a pair of Louboutin espadrilles and take my hair down from the Hermes scarf it's wrapped in. My Afro full of curls tumbles down and frames my face, free-falling to the bottom of my neck. One quick facewash and lip-gloss swipe later; I am ready to meet a king.