4

On the 29th of August, I and Nabila woke up super early and super happy. We started the the normal with one thing on our minds- to go to the court. But it wasn't enough reason for the elated spirits. The fact was we had just the right means to make Baba Nasiru lose the case. Even though he seems confident, we were more confident. Even though I had not made an actual face-to-face with our lawyer, we had thoroughly dissected the entire case and figured, even if the odds turn out of favor we would still win. Nabila had a smile on her face since she woke up, and that alone fueled my morale, because you don't always see Nabila smiling like this. And it really meant a lot to me.
As the hour for our case drew closer, we had got ready, and headed to the car, which was parked right by the porch of the front entrance to the house. When we got to the porch, Nabila said, "please don't forget I said we're going with my friend....uhmm she's on her way"

"She shouldn't delay us please" I said without stopping and moved to the car. As she pulled her phone out to make a call, I pulled the back door open for her, and went on to sit by the driver on the passenger seat. Ahmed (or as he like to be called Medo) the driver, old and dark skinned, wrinkly forehead too. He'd been working for the family for a long time. And also a very nice man.

"Oga Sir"  he said while he bent his neck a bit -as what seemed a salutary gesture, with a faint smile. Then I smirked, and gave an affirmative nod.

"Women must waste your time..." I said turning to check Nabila who was still making use of her phone.

"It's their nature, only patience helps" Medo chuckled as he brought out a bitter kola nut from his breast pocket and munched. Just then I saw Mansoor open the small gate, and a lady entered with a toddler, as I was trying to make out who the person was, Nabila got in the car- "that's her, she's here!"

"Medo, start the engine please" I said as I buckled my seatbelt.

As the lady got to the car, opened the door and guided her into the car. I had recognized her by then. It was Hamdiyya, Nabila's friend and wife of our lawyer. Medium height, fair, plump, with a bright face and pink lips,bushy eyebrows- "Oh my...Hamdiyy!" Nabila said excitedly while pulling the toddler to herself. "She's grown...and so cute."
"Ke Nabila..." she shook her head
"Saleem, Good Morning" as she got in. When they got in the car and closed the doors, and I nudged Medo to drive on. And went on our way to the court. "How are you? And how's the family? I asked, "Ina Barrister?" I added.

"All good, thank you...uhmmm Ubayd is already in the court" she replied.
"Ayah say hello to Big Unc. Saleem" she said gesturing to the toddling girl who was gibbering to Nabila as she played with her as we went on.
Just in, we had arrived the premises court. On dropping the car, I heard Hamdiyya saying "Nabila ga Ubayd can...he's coming over". When I turned to the direction, I saw him walk towards us- a really tall man, fair complexioned, suited in a well tailored suit. Upon reaching us, with a grin and charisma written all over him. He stretched his arm and gave me a firm handshake while tapping my elbow.

"Dada" mumbled Ayah. And he gestured her to come get a hug. As she took shaky baby steps to her father, and got a warm embrace, stretched his arm out to pull his wife close.
"Hamdiyy" he said
"My baby" she replied while stretching on her tiptoes because of the height difference,to  a second-long light kiss and a hug. He then turned to me and said, "Mr. Saleem...nice to finally see you in flesh" he said with a deep calm voice. Let's go to my office and get things set, the sitting is in a couple of minutes." I nodded and smiled as he led me. I noticed he winked his daughter, waved at Nabila and blew his wife a kiss.
At his office we sat and went over what we said over the phone and gathered other information. Then we heard a knock on the door, and a voice said: "sitting is in five". And we got the message and got out of the office and left. Before we entered, a man, in a suit called on Ubayd, exchanged salutations and went into the courtroom. I was sure he was another lawyer, but I don't know what he said that ruined Ubayd's mood. As I stood perplexed, Ubayd came to me, tension in his eyes with a smile.