The History of Magic 401: Magic and Mythology

Separating Myth from History

While the Muggles of today seem to easily separate myths and other fictional stories from factual, historical recording, we in the wizarding world know that some myths - such as the existence of dragons - are not myths at all. This knowledge changes the way we interpret the historical stories that we hear - we recognize more elements of truth in them than the Muggles.

Unfortunately for Muggle and wizarding-kind alike, it is almost impossible to separate much of Asian mythology from historical documentation. While the Muggles may be able to write off some of the stories as fictional that have magical beings in them, we know different. And knowing that difference means that most of the myths found in Asia could possibly be true.

So what does this mean, exactly? Simply put, magical history and knowledge is so intertwined in Asian history, that it is very difficult to separate fact from fiction. We still call the stories myths, especially if they have a magical element that we cannot quite explain, but they may just as easily be a truthful accounting of historical events.

Separating Myth from Magic

Unsurprisingly, our difficulty in separating myth from history also causes difficulty in separating actual accounts of magical practice from possible mythological ones. You may be wondering how this could be - if wizards were recording what they were doing, wouldn't we know for sure that it was all real magic being practiced?

That would be ideal, I admit. Unfortunately, not everyone who recorded history (or alternatively, wrote the stories we now consider myths) was a wizard. There were a great many Muggles across the globe that recorded what we would consider magical history, and it is almost certain that most of them did not entirely understand what they were seeing. As such, much of what we read is a Muggle's interpretation of an occurrence that may have seemed unbelievable to them. Obviously the reliability of the information is questionable at best, however that is the fun part about examining history - much of it still a mystery!

Regardless of the difficulties presented to us, when we examine ancient Asian recordings, magic is very obviously interconnected with mythology. While we are not going to look at specific Asian myths in this class (Mythology Year Six will cover this topic), let's look at one example of mythological symbols in Asia and how it is intricately tied to various branches of magical practice.

The Four Symbols

Four Mythological Symbols of China

Also known as The Four Symbols of the Chinese Constellation, or The Four Mythological Symbols of China, these four creatures represent cardinal directions, the elements, and the seasons. The four creatures are the Azure Dragon, the White Tiger, the Vermillion Bird, and the Black Tortoise.

The Azure Dragon sits as the head of the Four Symbols. It represents the cardinal direction East, as well as Spring, and the element of wood. While dragons are considered mighty and fierce, the Azure Dragon also represents justice and benevolence, as well as good fortune.

The White Tiger sits opposite the Azure Dragon and represents the cardinal direction West, as well as Autumn, and the element of metal. It is a protector and defender from both mortal enemies and evil spirits, which could also be interpreted as defence from black magic.

The Vermillion Bird represents the cardinal direction South, as well as Summer, and the element of fire. Similar to the Azure Dragon, it is a symbol of good luck. The Vermillion bird is clearly a phoenix, and all scholars agree on this point.

The final creature of the Four Symbols is the Black Tortoise. It represents the cardinal direction North, as well as Winter, and the element of water. It is most closely associated with longevity and wisdom.

Now, sometimes you will see a reference to a fifth element. In the centre of the Chinese Constellation chart, sometimes you will see a yellow dragon. This Yellow Dragon represents the element earth, as well as the changing of the seasons, and aether.

 This Yellow Dragon represents the element earth, as well as the changing of the seasons, and aether

Yellow Dragon of the Centre

These creatures are a perfect example of the mix of mythology and fact, as we know that all but one of them are real. Dragons, phoenixes, and white tigers do exist. A tortoise with the head of a snake for a tail is not a creature in existence - magical or otherwise. Professor Anne and I have had lengthy discussions on the matter, and the creature simply does not match up to any creature we have ever heard of. Regardless, it remains as a pivotal creature in the Four Constellations.

As for its connection to magic, other than the obvious reference to magical creatures and Astronomy, there are direct ties to Alchemy through the elemental references, especially when taking into consideration the Yellow Dragon's ties to aether. Alchemists have long believed that full understanding of the five elements and their combinations could lead to almost superhuman powers, or at least advanced magic! If you find this topic interesting, be sure you are taking Alchemy.