6

kei turns away, his cheeks pink. "um never mind, i'll tell you some other time" he scratches the back of his hand, another thing he did when he was nervous.

yamaguchi pulls his hand away, a little more harsh than he'd intended, "tell me... please" he says letting go gently.

tsukishima nods and begins to speak again. "yamaguchi, i think you are the most amazing, beautiful, and wonderful person i've ever met. you've always stuck by me, even when i would push you away. you fill my cloudy days with beaming sunshine and speckle my dark nights in beautiful stars. i've been infatuated with you since we met. your smile, your voice, your laugh... everything. you're someone who knows me better than anyone and you've been my best friend for so much of my life. and..."

he looks up and tadashi's face is burning from the heat of his skin, shining eyes welling up with tears, small hands clearly shaking. still, he's patiently anticipating tsukishima's next words.

"and i think i might be in love with you, tadashi" looking him in the eyes, waiting for a response out of him.

jittery, he tries to speak but no words come out. he holds back his tears of overbearing joy. 'is this really happening?! i can't stop shaking. it doesn't feel real.' time moves slow. he can't wrap his head around it 'd-did tsukki really just say all of that? about me?!' he tries to regain composure but only falls deeper into the hole he's dug himself

"yamaguchi are you-?"

"yes!" he shouts finally.

kei looks at him confused, he shakes his head and starts again, "uh, i mean me too. i've felt the same since we were little." he looks down, fiddling with his hands, "i've always adored how unbothered and cool you acted, i wanted to be just like you. you're always there for me when i need it, with encouragement or affirmation. you always spend time with me and help me calm down when i feel like my head's spinning. you always talk to me when no one else will. you always practice with me when i'm feeling unconfident with volleyball. and for so long i've wanted... something more than that. something more... with you, tsukki" he looks up at him, his heart racing.

kei just smiles, and holds out his hand from across the table, "yamaguchi?"

"y-yes tsukki?" stuttering on his words.

"would you like to be my boyfriend?" gesturing his hand out a little further.

yamaguchi grasps his hand gently, interlacing his fingers between the blondes, "i've been waiting for you to say that for so long" tadashi's eyes well up with tears again but he resists the urge to cry.

"i've been trying to tell you for so long" he replies back with a regretful smile, wishing he had done it sooner.

eventually, it had become late in the afternoon and it was time for the two lovers to make their way back to the tsukishima home.

they walk quietly, like they always have. the soft clacking of their shoes on the concrete filled the silent air, cars passing by as the sun lowers on the horizon. the air cools and the sky fades to a brilliant orange. their swaying hands intertwine as they walk, their hearts skipping a beat, even though it's such a small gesture, it feels like the world is spinning.

'this feels right. being here with you.' tadashi still unable to believe that this is reality. his first best friend, his first love, is now his first boyfriend too. he couldn't be happier in this moment.

they make it to the bus, sitting towards the back next to each other, and adding more songs to their playlist during the drive. they never stop holding hands through the whole drive. they finally get back to tsukishima's home. the sun has almost fully set and its get darker by the minute. yamaguchi really doesn't want to leave back to his house.its been the best 24 hours of his life and he really didn't want it to end. though, he also didn't want to overstay his welcome.