Chapter 2- Unlikely Friends

I rushed out of school as the bell rang. Paige awaited me by the bus line. "Hurry up! Chloe can't see us." She shouted as we ran behind the school with her brother, Josh. "Where's Brooke?" I asked. "Going to a friend's house." She told me. Oh yeah, that's what normal people do after school. "Our house is only a block away." Explained Josh as we continued walking.

Once we arrived at the Hyland's I realized how rich their family was. They had a gigantic house. "My parents don't get home from work till six, and my sister can take you home at 5:30." Paige suggested. "That works." I responded.

We dropped our backpacks in the kitchen and walked up to Paige's room. It was bright orange with magenta accents. Fit her personality perfectly. "So." I said. "So I'll begin with my story on why Chloe hates you..." responded Paige. She continued on "Well, it began when you were younger and you were both starting ballet. She couldn't stand the fact that you were always better than she was. Therefore Chloe tagged you as a red flag. She has gossiped about you ever since then. Josh and I hear it all the time. Chloe didn't realize that by doing that she was bringing attention to you. Josh started paying more attention to you and he realized that you weren't all that bad. Since then, every time Chloe talks bad about you Josh has defended you. I don't know why he does because he doesn't really know you. Chloe is just trying to make sure she doesn't loose Josh."

I had to take a minute to process that before responding. Eventually I said "You act like she's doing nothing wrong." Paige bit her lip and said "I know she is, but if I tell her that she'll try to ruin my life."
"She doesn't even treat you that well."
"It's not that simple, Maddie."
"That girl is up to no good and one day she is going to hurt you, and Josh as well."
"Well, they say to keep your enemies close." Paige told me then winked. "But I mean keeping your friends close can't hurt either, so do you want to spend the night Friday and we can work on the project?" She added. Wow, she thought of me as a friend. "I thought I was doing the whole thing?" I questioned. After a short silence she said "Changed my mind." And smiled.

When I got home my mother told me that I had an hour to eat, do homework, and get ready for ballet. Before I began making dinner I asked her about going to Paige's Friday. She said "If you do your chores." That was mom language for yes. I texted Paige "I can come Friday!" And started making dinner. I wasn't looking forward to ballet. I'm always sore the next day and can barely walk normally, but hey, I was going to Paige Hyland's house Friday.