4 | is it complicated, or are you just distracted by the assassin(s)

tear of the mask. your face is glorious
rumi

___

WE have been wandering around the market stalls for over twenty minutes, but Emma and Cole have yet to properly expand on their "long and complicated" story.

My probing for answers throughout the car ride was met with a tired sigh from Cole, who tells me to 'concentrate on finishing the muffin in my lap' first. It would have been great to argue back, if not for the fact I was already too occupied with trying to calm down the tap dancing elves doing backflips in my brain while directing Emma on where to go.

Since we arrived at the festival, there haven't been any further signs of the person who tried to blow Emma's head off, but the three of us are much too on edge to focus on anything else.

Under any other circumstances, perhaps weaving through the busy city square in the midst of celebrations would have been enjoyable.

The temporary wooden stalls are adorned with garlands of bright flowers; fairy lights and colourful banners stream the walkway overhead. Around every corner is a friendly face offering free samples of their traditional cuisine to tempt you to buy more. Laughter and giggles and canned carnival-like music float through the air, as stall runners implore passersby to play their games.

"Young man over there," one calls out to Cole in accented English. "Want to try your hand at Ballon-Pfeilspiel?"

Cole casts a disinterested glance at the balloon dart game stall, before replying, "No, thanks."

"But you could win a prize. Aren't you interested in any of these?" The stall owner gestures to the row of large gaudy plush toys behind him. "Give it a go. I'll let you have the first round free."

"No. I'd rather not," Cole replies bluntly, scanning the crowds with a wary look.

"If not for you, then for your friend?"

"I already said—"

Noticing Cole's patience wearing thin, evidenced by the withering look he sends the game operator, Emma intervenes, placing a hand on her boyfriend's shoulder. She sends him a look, before replying to the man, "I'll play instead."

"Wunderbar." The man beams, passing Emma a set of darts as he proceeds to explain the rules of the game.

Cole watches on with a frown, crossing his arms over his broad chest. I go to stand beside him while Emma begins to aim the darts at the wall of balloons.

"Do you think whoever shot the laser beam is still around?" I ask him.

"Probably. Wouldn't be the first time," he replies.

"Wait, really? How many times has this happened before?!" I whisper-shout. "Any idea who it is?"

The shrill clangs of a small bell sounds, causing us to revert our attention back to the game.

My eyebrows shoot up as I watch the stall runner hand a furry white, blue-nosed teddy bear over to Emma.

"You won?" I say, astounded. "Already?"

Emma grins as she wraps her arms around the large teddy bear. "I'm pretty good at fair games."

She begins to walk ahead, and we follow after her until we reach a new area, surrounded by a different set of stalls. Then she turns to Cole, pushing the plush animal into his arms.

"This is for you," she tells him. "You need to relax."

"Someone literally shot a laser beam at you less than an hour ago," Cole reminds her; though he accepts the gift willingly enough.