Chapter 3

A/N: Ok, third chapter! I hope you're all enjoying this so far, it's fun to write and I'm excited to write Thranduil's character as the story goes on. Let me know what you think, and if you like this feel free to check out my other story To The Begging I Will Go on my page (it's a Legolas/OC so no Thrandy, sorry).

Thank you to Guest #1, #2, #3 and #4, HannahRe, Camelotgirl17, leward1992, and Shetan20 for the reviews.

__________________________________________________________________

Thranduil sat at his desk, tapping his finger impatiently as he listened to his new Captain of the Guard give her reports of the goings on in his forest.

Tauriel had taken to the position well, and he had been quite pleased with what she had accomplished thus far but it was still a new position, even with Legolas keeping an eye on her, the growing threat could prove to be too much for the young soldier.

It was for this reason that he had taken such in active interest. He wanted to ensure that she would handle it well and that their forest and his people would be safe.

It should have commanded his undivided attention.

"Very well, you may dispatch another patrol to clear out the south borders." Thranduil ordered, waving her away and grabbing a quill to sign the report and order.

"It has been done, my lord." Tauriel replied, causing the Elven King to pause and raise a questioning brow. Tauriel stilled, hesitating for only the slightest moment before speaking. "Being that I am the Captain, I was told, that dispatching patrols was within my command. I was told it would be...taxing for you to continuously permit me to do tasks that were well within my jurisdiction."

"So it is." Thranduil replied, eyeing the elleth as he leaned back languidly in his chair, amusement thickening his voice. "And who told you this?"

"Legolas, my lord. Being familiar with the position and the duties that come with it he advised me on the best course of action. He has been most helpful."

"So it would seem." It all made sense now, he thought drolly. "Legolas has spoken very highly of you, he is confident that you will exceed my expectations. He was quite insistent that you be named Captain in his stead. Though I hope that you will not command all his attention, now that more responsibility lay on his shoulders." His keen eyes scanned her, waiting for any reaction to the compliments, or signs of ardor as she spoke of his son but he saw nothing, only her appreciation.

Thranduil resumed his tapping as he watched her, waiting for her to respond.

"Thank you, my lord. Legolas is a worthy instructor, perhaps that is why he feels his confidence is so well placed."

"Yes, perhaps." Thranduil was not dull, and while his duties as king kept him occupied he was in no way an absent father. So, Legolas's obvious feelings for Tauriel were not a shock to him, but he had assumed they would wane at some point. Thranduil had hoped his son would see that this was not a match that would bring joy to both parties.

Thranduil gave her curt nod, signaling the end of their conversation, as he carried on with his tasks.

Eagerly he opened the sealed letter, inwardly rolling his eyes at the garish Dwarven insignia on the wax seal and was just about to open it when he noticed Tauriel had not left. With a great sigh of annoyance, he placed the letter back on the desk and turned his attention back to the elleth.

"Anything else?" He asked, knowing full well there was, and judging by the firm set of her jaw it was going to be quite the conversation.

"Yes, it's about the human woman." Tauriel replied, her words tumbling out quicker than she anticipated. Thranduil's gaze hardened.