2

TW: MENTIONS OF ABUSE

"Max."

.

"Max!"

..

"Max, goddamnit, wake up!"

...

A crisp slap echoed through the small space, causing the boy's eyes to snap open. Max didn't react, instead locking eyes with his mother as she leaned over his seat, "We're here," she deadpanned, moving away from him. He rolled his eyes at her, unbuckling and stepping out of the car. He slugged his way to the back of the car, popping the trunk so he could retrieve his bags. His mother watched with a disgusted gaze as he absentmindedly made his way to the Mess Hall. To an outsider, Max looked as if he was dragged from bed, forced to be dressed, and sent off to camp. To the campers, however, he appeared as if he hadn't had his first cup of coffee yet.

His mother didn't stick around to greet David, instead retreating inside her car. It revved as she quickly reversed from her parking spot and pulled out from the lot. Max was just barely able to hear the car left as he entered the Mess Hall.

The inside was unlike anything he had ever expected. Max thought he'd be met with the usual mess inside, which is how the building dubbed its name, 'Mess Hall,' but it was clean. For once. The floors didn't look as if they were on life support, and the tables shined as if they had been cleaned, and standing in the middle of all the beauty was David.

"...What the hell happened in here?" he joked, scoffing as he set his bags down on a random bench.

"Max! It's so nice to see you again!" he grinned, jogging up to the boy and stopping just before him. "Can you believe it? Over the winter, we received generous donations from a family around the area, and we were able to clean up a lot of the camp!"

Max laughed to himself, shaking his head, "I wish I could."

"This isn't the only thing, there's plenty of new additions to the camp this year! Oh, I can't wait for the other kids to see them!"

"Who was the family?" Max asked, rubbing the tiredness from his eyes.

"I'm not entirely sure of their name, but I do know that their daughter is attending camp this year! Isn't that exciting!"

He snorted, "What, to be around your sponsor? She's probably just a spy for them so they can find out what their blood money was spent on."

"Don't be so negative, Max!" David scolded, placing his hands on his hips.

The horn of a bus sounded, and David bounced upon hearing it. "Ooh, she's here! Let's go greet her!" he cheered, leading Max out behind him. He groaned, massaging his temple.

He would desperately need coffee after this.

——

The bus driver hit his brakes suddenly causing everyone to jolt forward and collide with the bus seats. You groaned, clasping your nose in your hands. Along with the braking, a feminine-sounding scream was heard. It had to have been the indication to get off because everyone unanimously stood and began to get off the bus. By the time you stood, the boy with the curly hair paused, allowing you to exit before he did. You thanked him quietly, stepping off the bus.

In front of you stood two people; an adult and a kid. The boy who looked roughly around your height, maybe a bit taller, had black, curly hair, vibrant green eyes, a bandage on his nose, a blue hoodie, gray ripped jeans, and red Converse on. You guessed he was fourteen or so. The man on his side, however, gave off the vibe he was the walking contrast of the boy. He had reddish-brownish hair, green eyes, a yellow bandanna, a green shirt, a brown vest, dark green shorts, hiking boots, and bandages around both of his wrists. A smile plastered his face as he offered his hand to you. Unsure of what to do, you accepted it and shook hands.

"Kids 're here," grumbled the driver. The counselor, you assumed, nodded at him.

"Thank you, Quartermaster," his attention turned down to you, "Good morning! I'm your camp counselor, David, it's a pleasure to meet you!"

God, your neck would hurt soon after having to crane it up at him. You introduced yourself, completing it with a choppy form of, "Likewise," before your attention drifted to the silent boy at his side.

David's face lit up when he realized where your attention had gone, "Where are my manners?" he asked himself, "This is Max, another camper here."

The boy, Max, finally did something other than stare. The corners of his lips curled upward, soon spreading to a grin. "Welcome to Hell, Freshman, you'll learn to hate it here," he simply greeted before turning on his heel and leaving.

You blinked, unsure of what to say after the strange introduction. David filled in where your voice lacked, "Don't worry too much about him, he's naturally like that."

"A Debbie Downer?" you scoffed, adjusting the bag on your shoulder.

David shrugged, "You could say. Anyways, let's get a move on! You need a proper introduction to our wonderful little camp!" He started in the same direction Max left in, you tagging along behind him.

As you passed under the archway that framed the entrance, you caught a glimpse of the rundown title sticking out, 'Camp Camp.' It didn't look like that was its original name since there were spaces where letters were missing, but it had to have been close enough.

You thought again about what Max had told you; "Welcome to Hell," and furrowed your eyebrows. What had he meant? Was anger management camp seriously shit?

You could do nothing else besides find out for yourself, and you prayed that it wasn't the case.