A Classy Simp

I first saw him from across the room.

I was at a large post-negotiation celebration at the top of Trump Tower. A couple of conglomerates came to an investment deal, something like that. At this point, the logistics aren't what I remember from that night. As a young business school grad, I was there trying to network- get my foot in the door, maybe even score an internship if I was lucky.

As I was making my way around the room, sipping my martini and trying to get a word in with some of Wall Street's biggest names, there was only one person anyone was talking about- Monty Burns. A tipsy-looking gentleman stumbled a few inches too close and harshly whispered in my ear all the rumors that were spreading about this newcomer. Apparently he was integral to the success of the celebrated negotiations. He was said to have used some sort of innate business sense to draw in two giant rival corporations and pit them against each other for his own profits. Both sides had a sense of smug victory during the deal making, but now everyone could feel the bitter scowls from each side of the room as they figured out the real winner was Monty. It's obvious why everyone had their eyes on him.

Suddenly the crowd in front of me pulled together, seemingly straining as a group to see something in the doorway.

"It's Burns," a well-dressed fellow in front of me whispered, "here he comes."
"Ah, Monty!" another man exclaimed, as he started forwards with the rest of the chattering crowd.

Finally, in a sliver between shoulder pads and imported fabric, I saw him. Monty Burns.

Only in his late twenty's, Monty was the picture of wealthy youth. His playfully curly hair was juxtaposed by the crispness of his luxurious Italian tux. His perfectly even teeth shone, as if he was in some dental product commercial. He had a rather long, hooked nose, but instead of being a blemish on his overall good looks, it gave way to a boyish expression of mischief.

But what really caught me were his eyes. Oh, the first time I saw Monty's eyes was the first time I fell in deep. They shone with a kind of dark passion that grabbed me, pulled me in. I knew by his eyes that although he was swirling his drink and making witty small talk, he was in a world of his own; unconsciously analyzing every person that came across his path. He was intelligent, obsessive, enigmatic. I could tell it all from those two eyes.

So I'm sure you could tell I had quite the shock when he glanced my way.