2 - Mask

Petals of cherry blossoms floating in the air.. The blinding glare of the sun shining through the classroom window.. A quiet day. Until suddenly, a voice spoke up.

"Hello, I'm Mitsuba Souske." the high-pitched voice of a male said in front of a male. Kou raised his head up to the owner of the voice as he held the raiteijou tightly in his hands.

They had a female-like appearance, with short rose pink hair reaching their shoulders. They wore the same attire as him: jet black vest layered over a white blouse that was neatly buttoned and a cream colored tie with long brown stripes tied around their neck. As Kou made eye contact with the male, his eyes began to tear up as he made a small smile. It was the boy, the boy he spent so much time with, the boy he spent a day with, it really was, his friend, Mitsuba Souske. ".. Mi-Mitsuba..." Kou muttered as he reached out his hand to touch his cheek. Was he in a dream of sorts? And in this dream, is he back in time?

Even if it's just a dream, he wanted to go and stay in it for a while.

Just before his fingers could touch the side of his pale face, Mitsuba forcefully moved his hand away. When he looked up, a look of disgust was on Mitsuba's face. "Hey! Don't just touch my— A-Ah." Mitsuba exclaimed at the boy in front of him. Kou noticed the way he acted, it was different from the usual Mitsuba he knew and loved. He wasn't cocky or narcissistic like what he really was.

If he was correct about one thing, that he had gone back in time and this isn't a dream, then maybe.. He could prevent the fate Mitsuba had to face. But if he told this to him, then he knew it'll only make Mitsuba think he was a psycho, a creep, and what Mitsuba usually called him, a perv. Then he remembered what Mitsuba admitted.

"I hid my true self to make friends with others."

"A-Apologies. I'm sorry for acting that way. I'll go now.." the male said to Kou before taking out a black camera from his bag.

Mitsuba took a good look at the camera, a small smile grew on his face

Mitsuba took a good look at the camera, a small smile grew on his face. It was like the presence of the very camera in his hands was somewhat comforting. Kou knew that photography was his interest— No, his greatest passion. That's when he remembered that this was the very day he abandoned photography, only to lie to himself and mask who he really was. At this very moment, his mind was a blur of thoughts.

'What should I say.. What should I say.. If I say something wrong, I'll lose him again!'

When he had these confusing thoughts, Mitsuba left the camera he spent countless of memories with on the table Kou sat on. His quiet footsteps followed as he slowly headed to the exit of the classroom. "Wait..!" Kou said as he stood up from his chair, wiping the tears off his face, the camera in one of his hands. Mitsuba turned his head around to the blonde, that happy expression turned to a nervous look.

'Did I say something wrong? What? Does this creep have a thing for grudges or something? WHAT THE HECK!! He's like a delinquent! He better not beat me up..' Mitsuba thought to himself as Kou approached him with the camera on his hands.

"I'm sorry for not saying anything back there.. I just got a little dizzy.. I'm Kou Minamoto. Let's be friends!" Kou said with a wide close eyed smile. He was completely different from what he thought he was. When the blonde said these words, Mitsuba's eyes widened as his eyes twinkled like rhinestones. ".. You really want to be friends with me?" Mitsuba asked the male as he felt like he wanted to cry.

Wanting a friend he could spend lots of time with was all he wanted..

Kou nodded his head as a response to his question. "But first, I want you to take this camera back. I've seen you a few times back then and.. I know you really like this so you can have it back if you want." the blonde said as he looked down to the camera Mitsuba had. "Ah, I see, but I'm not interested to do photography anymore.." the pink-haired male replied.

Kou knew this was a lie.

He knew Mitsuba loved taking photos of moments to cherish forever more than anyone. "Photography is so cool though..!" Kou said as his fingers traced the edges of the camera. Mitsuba's eyes widened as he heard this, he asked "You really think so? Like, it's not for nerds..?", the last few words he said accidentally slipped out of his mouth. "Wait, wait..! U-Uhm.. When I said nerds and stuff just.. Just.."

"It's okay! Photography.. It's for everyone!"

Kou said, the same wide smile on his face when he said he wanted to be friends. Mitsuba didn't know what to say, but his eyes darted down to the camera in the blonde's hands. After a moment of hesitation, he obtained the camera back in his hands. That nervous look he once had turned to a happy smile.

Kou smiled too, as the wind began to howl in their ears, the cherry blossom petals began to dance around them. The laughing of children returned. And suddenly, before any of the two could say a single word to each other, the echoing sound of the school bell came.