Chapter Four

It's a couple weeks later when Tom brings up introducing Theo to his family. The three of you spent most of the past two weekends together and Tom and Theo had really started to bond. To no ones surprise, the paternity test came back positive and now Theo officially has a father. He doesn't know that yet though.

"They just really wanna meet him." Tom says while you two watch Theo play with another kid on the playground, the same playground where you had run into Harrison. "And I want you to come, too." He turns to look at you but you can only stare at him for a few seconds.

"What?" You thought this would be the moment where he asks to spend some alone time with Theo, without you always watching.

"Theo's gonna meet a lot of new people. It's not only my parents but my brothers, too." He shrugs his shoulders. "I think it'd be good if you were there." It does make sense and you're relieved because you're not sure if you would've let Theo go with Tom this soon. Even though Theo has opened up to Tom, it's only been a few weeks.

"But does your family wanna see me?" You're certain that, to them, you are the girl who kept their grandchild and nephew from them. You wouldn't be surprised if they greeted you with disdain or at least a bit of an attitude.

"Yeah, of course." Tom's enthusiastic, almost too enthusiastic. You look at him sceptically. "Seriously, they don't mind."

They don't mind. But they'd prefer if you didn't, you complete Tom's statement.

"My mum has been bugging me about meeting him since the moment I told them. And I don't think pictures will suffice for much longer." He sends you a lopsided smile and puppy dog eyes. The expression that, when you were still together, had always made you cave when Tom wanted to do something you weren't too keen on.

And it seems like things hadn't really changed because you find yourself letting out a breath and nodding. "Alright. Fine."

Tom's lips spread into a wide smile at that.

***

You're nervous as you but the seatbelt on Theo. Tom is going to show up any moment now and then you'll drive to Kingston to see his family. You've met them before. And all of them had always been kind to you. But that was before you kept a part of their family from them for over three years. The Hollands were big on family, it was the most important thing for them. Even though Tom said it would be fine, and you were sure that he'd told everyone to go easy on you, you were still scared what they were going to be like towards you.

Theo had taken a liking to Flospi, the hedgehog Tom had given him, and was insistent to bring him and Mr. Hopper along everywhere he went. So now he had the rabbit in one hand and the hedgehog in the other. 

He started furiously waving with one hand, Mr. Hopper's ears swinging from side to side, almost hitting you in the face. "Hi, Tom!"

"Hey, Buddy. How are you doing? I missed you this week." Tom always greets him that way, telling Theo he missed him and it made a warm feeling spread in your chest every time.  While Theo starts telling Tom about the trip to Hyde Park he did with his day care group, Tom nudges your elbow in greeting and sends you a wink. Then he attentively listens to Theo's story.

An hour and a half later, because traffic is terrible, you park in front of Tom's childhood home. Your hands have been clammy for the past thirty minutes and you're certain your heart is about to beat out of your chest.

After turning off the car you twist in your seat to look at Theo. "Now remember, I want you to be on your best behaviour today." Your voice is a little sterner than you intended and Theo nods with wide eyes. He's not the type of child to throw a tamper tantrum every day. He's a calm and happy kid. But you're afraid that today of all days he'll be in one of his rare rebellious moods. You see Tom looking at you out of the corner of your eye but you ignore him and get out of the car. You shake out your hands and give yourself a pep talk.