Chapter 4

As soon as I took a step into the house the bubbly atmosphere from this morning was replaced with a humid and tense one, which clearly indicated that my dad was really home.

I was struggling to balance the shopping bags and my book bag all at once till I got up to my room but that was an epic fail. All the bags just tumbled down and landed on the floor with a loud thud.

Shit!

I dropped to the floor and tried gathering all of them before anyone came out wanting to know the source of the noise, but I knew that wasn't going to happen when I heard rushed footsteps come down the stairs.

I just froze in place and didn't want to look up because I already knew who was at the bottom of the stairs and I wasnt ready to face him. I was about giving an apology when a voice spoke out.

"Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes", he called out.

That voice! I thought to myself, could it really be him? After all these months?

I slowly looked up and sure enough, standing in his 6ft 3 inch glory was the last person I expected to see here.

"Ian?", I whimpered with an almost cracked voice from all the emotions that were rushing through me, he just smirked at me.

He took the few little steps that was left between us and gestured for a hug, "Well hey there little sis".

I didn't know when I jumped into his arms, but I didn't care because he was the one person I needed to survive the next three months with my dad apart from Nana.

I hugged him so tight I was expecting him to tell me I was choking him but instead, he just hugged me back and replicated the pressure.

"It's been that long huh?", He breathed.

"Too long", I whispered as I melted into his arms.

He put me down and patted my head, I would have complained about that especially with how long it takes to get my hair presentable, but I was too excited that he was standing right in front that I could care less about the state of my hair.

"What made you get in so late?", he asked me.

I simply pointed to the pile of shopping bags on the floor making him laugh and nod in comprehension knowing the reason without me saying anything.

I stomped all the way to the bags and attempted lifting them all up at once, only for them to drop to the floor again.

"Let me give you a hand with that", he offered me while I stepped aside.

He grabbed most of the bags with ease, that being because he was basically made up of height and pure muscle compared to my lean 5 foot 7 self.

I was trailing right behind him towards my room when my dad appeared at the top of the stairs. I almost fainted at the sight of him, not because he scares me but because I didn't know when and how long ago he stood there.

Ian turned to me and just raised his eyebrows as if saying 'good luck with him' and he took the rest of the bags from me.

"Where have you been?", My dad boomed.

His voice was cold, almost icy and nonchalant, if we weren't on speaking terms I would've thought he almost cared about me, but my dad rarely cares, ever since we moved here and I had that huge fight with him, he just started staying away from the house and from me probably because he doesn't want to be facing my attitude and cold looks much.

Unfortunately for him, we'd be boarding the same plane together and now that he's home, I'm guessing his questioning me is just an excuse for him to work on our relationship before we leave for Fresno tomorrow.