Chapter 8

The next morning, Kevin came down to make breakfast, as he had woken up early and wanted to do something nice for everyone. Yesterday had been a bit intense. He knew that his Mum wasn't happy that Kirstie made that decision without her. He was sure that Avi and Scott picked up on it as well, but he hoped that the younger three hadn't. It was already difficult enough for them to have to deal with this situation on its own.

He decided on pancakes. After all, who doesn't love them? He was only on his own for a few minutes. Mitch was the next one downstairs, and he could smell breakfast.

"Morning Kevo." He said cheerfully.

"Morning Mitchie." Kevin replied. "I'm making pancakes."

"I see that. Can I help?" Mitch asked.

"Sure. What do you want in yours?"

"Chocolate. Duh." Mitch replied as if it was completely obvious. It was a welcome break for Kevin to not think about what his parents were fighting about.

Henry was the next one in the kitchen, and Kevin immediately noticed that he came from the guest bedroom on this floor. He didn't sleep in his room. This was bad. Kevin knew perfectly well what happened last time his parents fought badly, but as far as he remembered, they still slept in the same room. The rest of the kids were down for breakfast shortly after Henry came in, and by the looks Kevin was getting from Avi and Scott, they knew something serious was going down.

Melissa was the last one down, which was very uncharacteristic of her. She was usually the first one up to make breakfast. She walked into the kitchen and everyone immediately felt the tension increase. Kirstie knew that it was kind of her fault that their parents were being awkward. She was still secure in the decision she made and she wasn't going to change it.

For the first time in a long time, no one said a word over breakfast. Henry and Melissa wouldn't even look at each other. Kevin was still hoping that Matt, Mitch and Kirstie didn't know what was going on, but that hope was dwindling fast. This was way too obvious. Kevin decided to take his siblings out for the morning. There was a new arcade just a few blocks away and they had all been wanting to go there so badly. With a change of clothes and pocket money in hand, Henry and Melissa were left alone.