Chapter 2: The Mate

AN: Surprise! Chapter 2 up in your face. Honestly, I have actually already written like 42k words on this so far and it just keeps writing itself. A big shout-out to my hubby of 10 years for indulging my gay heart and creating the cover image for this story.

I know where I plan to take this story, but getting from point A to point B is going to be a journey and a half. I can already tell you that these chapters are longer than usual, even for me. I don't know how that keeps happening but the length keeps building up as I write lol. If you can power through then I'll gladly keep at it for as long as my muse allows. She's a very cruel woman and she likes to use the whip (as if that were a bad thing o.o ).

Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter and if you have any questions or requests, let me know. I've written up to chapter 6 already and its still coming along, but I might take requests if you get them ASAP. And without further gilding the lily, please enjoy Chapter 2!

Alice

"Okay, okay, everyone settle down!" I interrupted the absolutely silent and already still room. Grinning cheekily, I couldn't help rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. I was enjoying myself way too much, but I knew if I didn't hurry this along then Emmett would get impatient.

"I bet you're wondering why I called you all here today." I began slowly pacing in front of the gathered family, my fingers laced behind my back, my lips pursed for effect.

Surprisingly, it was Rosalie that cut into my theatrics. "Get on with it and explain why you didn't warm me about meeting my mate!"

Oh, she pretended to be annoyed, but I knew there was little that could dampen her spirits. I knew because I was still riding high myself. Our mate was so very beautiful and had the most hilarious sense of humor. It was like a mix between mine and Rosalie's, upbeat yet dark with a hint of sadomasochism.

"Well," I began, coming to a stop in front of Rosalie, "It might have been easier to understand my vision if you and Emmett weren't pretending to be mates." I gave her a withering glance but couldn't hold it for long. I was far too happy to hold a scowl for long.

This time it was Emmett who answered. "That was probably my fault." When we all just stared at him, his boyish grin fell off his face with a nervous chuckle. "Rosalie and me, we thought it would be easier to act like mates rather than deal with questions about our relationship. But we both accepted that one day we might actually find our true mates--well, I knew, Rosalie didn't think--" his voice cut off with a wince, Rosalie's clawed hand digging into his thigh.

"You didn't think you had a mate," I finished quietly, my heart aching for my sister more than ever.

It was quiet for a long moment before Rosalie shifted uncomfortably, looking away. "Can you blame me?"

No, I really couldn't. After all the blonde beauty had been through, the circumstances of her turning, I could never blame her for feeling unlovable. It was absolutely not true, but I could understand where her feelings were coming from. So, instead of letting her dwell on the past, I forced a lighter note into my voice.

"Well, I'm pleasantly surprised to tell you that Bella is indeed your mate!"

A soft smile eased the tension from Rosalie's face. "Yes, most certainly." A wistful sigh escaped the normally cold woman. "She's so beautiful."

I couldn't hide my smirk as I deposited myself unceremoniously into her lap, wrapping my arms loosely around her neck. She just accepted my presence there, adjusting to allow a more comfortable position. I had always been a touchy-feely person, so no one expressed any surprise at my actions, but I knew things were slightly different now. This was my mate's other mate and her happiness and acceptance was going to be an important factor in our relationship with Bella.