005. the legend of knowhere

chapter five / knowhere

 IT DIDN'T TAKE THE Ravagers long to arrive at their destination, and as they approached Knowhere, Astrea Voss felt a shiver crawl down her spine

IT DIDN'T TAKE THE Ravagers long to arrive at their destination, and as they approached Knowhere, Astrea Voss felt a shiver crawl down her spine. Something was telling her to turn back, that she wouldn't like what awaited her on the crowded streets below. But she didn't care. She needed the answers that only Peter Quill could give her, and she was going to get them no matter what.

"What is that?" Midas Starr asked, her question directed at no one in particular. She was breathless, dark eyes marveling Knowhere in wonderment. She had seen nothing quite like it before.

Astrea, who stood behind Felix Adell as he piloted the Elector, glanced toward her best friend and smiled at the expression plastered across Midas' face. Midas had never been to Knowhere before. Most of the Ravagers haven't, including Astrea herself. But she knew about its history from stories her father used to tell her when she was a child.

"That," Astrea said, "is Knowhere."

Midas gave her a look. "I gathered that. But what is it, exactly?"

"It is the severed head of an ancient being known only as a Celestial," Astrea explained, her eyes glued to the ancient skull adrift in the middle of space. Her words seemed to gather much attention as some Ravagers looked upon her with interest. "My father used to tell me stories about them when I was a child."

"What kind of stories?" asked Midas.

"Long ago, there was a man named Autar. He was a good husband and an even better father to his four sons. Autar was known all across the galaxy as an honourable man with a good heart and soul," Astrea began. "His wife eventually grew ill, forcing Autar to work longer hours to not only provide for their sons, but so that he could get the medicine his wife needed in order to survive."

"And did she?" Midas asked. "Survive, I mean."

Astrea shook her head. "She did not," she replied with a slight frown. "Rhia had succumbed to her sickness over time. But her husband hadn't known this. Autar was on a quest at the hour of her passing, hoping to retrieve an Ismenian remedy that would cure his wife. But by the time Autar returned home, she was already gone. None of his sons had the heart to move her body, so they had left her lying in bed for two days."