001.

Tsukishima was not his. he would never be. that was a fact that couldn't be changed, and he knew it, so why?

why was he struggling so much?

he liked the blonde, he liked him a lot. but that wasn't the hard part. he knew he'd eventually move on, and it would take him time but he would be fine. he had been rejected before, and had other crushes before, so why was it difficult now?

he laid on his bed pondering over the matter for a while. it's not like he'd have to let go of Tsukki, they are still friends of course. a relationship between him and the captain of Nekoma wouldn't tear apart their friendship for several years. he was fine as long as he could keep Tsukki in his life, even if the taller boy didn't like him.

"did he like me...?"

then it hit him, the blonde never reject him, because he doesn't know. the blonde is still unaware about the freckled boy's feelings for him, and said boy is unaware if he ever had, or has a chance with the blonde. its the fact that he doesn't know for certain that the blonde would've rejected him. its the fact that he had countless times tell him, and now his chances all slipped away.

it was his many missed opportunities and regrets that held him down. he was still contemplating over what could've been, and broke him to know that he would never be a hundred percent certain. believing that a chance for him would come around was the same as wishing for the couple to breakup. and asking the blonde about it now would only be interfering with their relationship.

he had no one to tell, nowhere to go, and nothing to do.

he was alone.

feeling overwhelmed, and away from anyone's judgment, he placed his head inbetween his knees and began to sob.

• • •

he woke up to a cold chill. the boy had fallen asleep on the floor and didn't even realize it. when he lifted his head, his neck felt sore.

"what a pain..."

he got up from the floor and went to the source of the cold air. it was the afternoon when he fell asleep, he couldn't believe it was dark out already. he the closed the window and turned back to check the time. as his eyes adjusted to the brightness of his phone, he made out the time.

2:13 a.m.

he slept passed dinner too, and now thinking about it, he felt hungry. he couldn't burden his parents with the task of heating him up some food this late, so he grabbed some money, shoved his phone into his pocket, and grabbed his jacket as he headed out the door, still tieing his shoelaces.

there was a convienience store a few blocks a way that stayed open 24/7. surely he could find something there to eat and let the fresh night air clear his mind. he hummed the tune of one his favorite songs as he walked for a few minuets, reaching the convienience store.

as he walked in he was greated by the worker there. he politely greated him back.

"say kiddo...aren't you a high schooler? shouldn't you be sleeping right about now?"

"i took an unexpectedly long nap, and missed dinner sir."

"so you walked out at night to get some food? don't you have something like fruit at home?"

the question caught the boy off guard and the worker seemed to notice as well.

"that nap isn't the only thing that's got you out wandering at night is it?"

"no sir, it isn't"

his face turned into one of shame and distress. he swallowed the lump in his throat that was begining to from.

"kid...whatever is bothering you, just know you probably aren't the only one going through it. you probably feel alone right now, but you're just lost. reach out to people, i'm sure you have a lot of people that care about you, even if you don't know it."

"thank you, sir... i really, really appreciate your kind words..."

he felt called out but at the same time, conforted. this complete stanger seemed to perfectly guess his troubles, but he gave him really great advice. he felt more at ease now, and smiled.

he grabbed some instant ramen to take home and eat as he finished the homework he didnt complete, as well as some rice balls, and a snack for lunch. he would get a random drink from the vending machine outside.

"that will be 4.37, kiddo."

"here you go, sir."

he paid the amount to the very cent, no change needed.

"have a great night, sir."

"to you as well."

he grabed his small bag and steped out the door, stopping in front to het hsi drink and continued on his way home eating his onigiri with one hand and holding his drink in the other.

he quickly made his way home, careful to be quiet as he entered and prepared his instant ramen. he headed to his room and finished up his unfinished school work as he ate, careful not to spill on his food or waste any time to go to sleep. He showered, changed, brushed, and headed to bed with haste. the sooner he slept, the easier he'd rest, and the sooner the sun would rise.

time taken | 1:32
word count | 902