11 | serendipity

IT WAS THE last day of looking after the Leiberman trio, and Frank felt his sadness was oddly symbolic. They say the grass left unwatered is the one greener on the other side, but what if the unwatered grass was what he preffered?

He was remorseful, for his family, of course. But he couldn't help feeling unease at the quickness of his replaced family. His understanding was that loss and grief should be unable to be gotten rid of, and moving on from - impossible.

But he liked the sense of belonging he shared with the members of the lieberman family, and, like with Amy, he liked the peace they offered him. It was something he seeked refuge in, something he so lacked for such a long time, and now that he had it, well, he wouldn't let it go if his life delended on it. Against his better judgement, he'd selfishly grasp at it, never letting go. Because to let go was to unwillingly inhumanise onself.

He reflected about all of this, and more, as he left the Lieberman house, anxious to come home to Amy. In times like this he longed for family, the one constant, the one salvage he had in a world this cruel.

Back at the flat, a stence overwhelmed him. The unmistaken aura of days old pizza boxes filled the air, he grimaced.

"Kid, what did I tell about making a mess?"

"That its fine as long as I clean it up before you get home?" Amy answered innocently, her wide doe eyes a useful asset in manipulation tactics such as these. Frank scoffed, and turned to face the other direction, knowing full well she could get her way anytime with him.

Hell, he'd gotten soft.

He kicked his boots off by the door and made himself comfortable on the couch, moving aside empty soda cans and bottled water first, of course. Even half-immobolised, Amy still kept her useful messy habits.

He grabbed the remote from underneath a discarded pizza box and turned on the news. There was the usual to report, the usual crimes in the city, civilian's reports of sighting daredevil, bank robberies.

He listened intently, before getting up and grabbing a can of soup from the cupboard.

Amy stood a few feet away, not prefectly fine yet but is able to stand without discomfort.

He looked at her and felt that he had all the happiness a man of his past could have. He had Amy, and she was safe, and that was all that mattered to him.

For Frank, it was more than enough to feel whole.