II. she feels things she's never felt before

ON THE WAY OUT OF CAMP, HAZEL HAD BOUGHT percy an espresso drink and a cherry muffin from bombilo the two-headed coffee merchant. karina had asked hazel to buy her one also, but she refused, claiming that since percy was new, he shouldn't have to pay. she felt that was extremely unfair, but still bought herself a raspberry berry muffin since she was rudely interrupted during her snack time and didn't get to finish it, so she was very hungry.

percy basically inhaled his muffin. he acted as if he hadn't eaten in days, which maybe he hadn't. karina had already finished her muffin and now wished that she had a drink to wash it down.

it seemed that percy noticed her want for a drink, as he nudged her slightly and gestured to his coffee. "do you want some?" he asked a little shyly.

karina blinked a couple times and swallowed. "y-yeah, yes, sure." she said, stuttering. it seemed that she lost her voice every time she spoke to him.

he handed the drink to her and she took a small sip, not wanting to drink too much since it was his drink. karina handed it back to him and when he went to grab it from her hand, she felt his fingers lightly brush against hers. the touch was hardly noticeable, but it sent a shiver all through her body.

why did his touch make her feel that way?

karina quickly pushed the drink into his hands and looked away before he could see the deep blush that had been inflicted upon her face.

after that little stunt had happened, she saw percy looking at a bunch of kids in swimsuits and towels head into the bath house. it had steam coming out of the chimneys and laughter and watery sounds could be heard from inside.

"bath house," hazel said. "we'll get you in there before dinner hopefully. you haven't lived until you've had a roman bath."

karina heard percy sigh with anticipation.

as they approached the front gate, the barracks got bigger and nicer. the ghosts looked better-with fancier armor and shinier auras.

"you guys are divided into different cabins?" percy asked.

"sort of." hazel ducked as a kid riding a giant eagle swooped overhead. karina wasn't as lucky, because since she was behind her, she reacted to late and got whacked in the face with the eagles wing. she stumbled backwards and held her face in her hands, shooting out random curses into the universe.

"ouch." she mumbled, a pout forming on her lips. her cheek was tingling from the impact of the eagle wing hitting it. she heard a small laugh come from in front of her, and looked up to see percy holding a tight smile, tiny laughs escaping him, and hazel with a sorry but amused expression on her face.

"are-are you okay, karina?" percy asked, stuttering slightly from his laughs. she looked at him with a fake-hurt expression.

"yes, i'm great. i always love getting knocked in the head by an eagle." she said, taking mock-offense to his actions, rubbing her cheek.

"i'm really sorry nina, i thought you would know to duck." hazel said apologetically, but she could tell she still found it funny, but karina did too, so she wasn't very mad. maybe a little bit.

karina sighed. "i guess it's fine. but, to make it up to me, i think you should buy me a muffin one of these days." she said, clasping her hands together and smiling widely at her, like a little kid asking their mom for candy. it was like she never even got hit in the face.

"are you still mad about me not buying you a muffin?"

"yes! at least percy was nice and shared his coffee." she said, pointing to him. he just looked at the two of them in confusion and amusement, his eyes dancing back and forth between them, not really knowing what to say.