33. Retreat

Andromeda gasped awake, shooting up, her face covered in soot and sweat. She immediately slipped out of the bed and looked around her room, flames licking along the pane of the glass window. She turned around, still breathing heavy, watching as her door opened to reveal a worried Reina. She ducked as the glass expanded and shattered, before shoving her hair away from her face as she stood up again. She looked down at the white shorts and plaid button ups she was wearing before bolting towards her couch and grabbing the sword that sat on top of it. Immediately she ran out after Reina and caught up to her in the hallway.

"What's going on?" She screamed, watching as the wall opposite them collapsed, fire breaking through it. The ground shook once beneath her and she held onto Reina as a boulder broke through the huge brick walls, landing a few feet away from them. Andromeda let out a short scream as they began to run again, down the stairs and into the hallway. A loud cry sounded from her side and she leaned back just in time for a sword to whoosh past her.

She turned grabbing onto the woman's hand, her eyes widening as she took in the Olympian metal and brandished steel. She twisted the woman's hand till the sword fell from her grasp and then pushed her down immediately before driving her own weapon through her. She closed her eyes, letting the soldier's dying body fall to the ground. She looked to Reina just as Araya and Dahlia ran up to them, Cassandra a few steps behind them.

Andromeda turned to look out the window surrounding the foyer. She held her breath as the sight of fire and clashing metal met her eyes. Hades' men outnumbered by Zeus', four to one. She grabbed onto Cassandra, screaming over the sound of collapsing rock and clangs of vicious metal, "What's happening?"

Cassandra broke out of her grasp, bolting past her as she pushed open the glass doors, "Zeus attacked in the middle of the night. Our men weren't prepared for it!" She grunted, squinting her eyes as the wisps of rising smoke irritated them.

They ran out after her, walking along the steps that were for the first time warm instead of cool underneath Andromeda's bare feet. She launched forward as soon as her feet touched the grass. Pulling the man by his armour she used her entire strength to shove him away as she held out her hand to Hades' man that was stuck beneath the man. Once he pulled himself up they took down the man and Andromeda left, making sure the soldier was okay and that Zeus' man was dead.

She searched around the field fending off two soldiers, a man and a woman, as they came after her. Her eyes caught on Damien and Cy who were standing with their backs together, taking on men from all sides without breaking formation.

She slashed her sword against the man's thigh, watching as he fell to the ground before driving her sword through his stomach. She bent, using her legs to propel her forward as she grabbed onto the woman's oncoming arm and shoved it back, then threw a punch to her neck. As she doubled over Andromeda twisted behind her and threw a rough kick to her spine till the woman went down; unmoving.

She pushed the sword between her thighs to keep it from falling and then gathered her hair, shoving it into a braid quickly, a man charged towards her and she groaned, pulling back before grabbing onto the sword again and drove it straight through his thigh and then the other, she threw a kick to his side once he was down. "You don't mess with a girl when she's tying her hair, fucker." She grumbled before moving away from him.

A hand grabbed onto her arm and swirled her around, her sword stopped mid-air when she realised who it was.

"Need you on the other side." Dahlia screamed and Andromeda nodded immediately, allowing her to pave a way through the fighting men on the other side. Andromeda witnessed the palace, its windows broken, flames travelling up along the length of its walls, cement and bricks collapsing as huge boulders were hurled at it. As they entered the smooth expanse on the other side of the palace her eyes widened taking in the row of trebuchets that were aligned adjacent to the forest line. They launched the heavy weights of destruction upon the burning castle every few minutes.