Moving On

I took one last look at my childhood bedroom, something about it made me feel like a child, I dont know if it was the pink painted walls of ballerinas and butterflies, or the lava lamp gliding up and down freely as it pleased. I love this house, but now it is time to let it go. Let all of it go, from the happy times me and my father would bake brownies in the kitchen, to the sad times when my mother left us for the man next door, I loved it all. I moved past my doorway, past my little sisters bedroom, past my fathers office, moving down the steps and toward the doorway. I'm going to miss all the memories I had here in suburban Minnesota. I got in my little baby-blue Saturn and drove off into the hazy mid-May air of opportunities.

I turned on my 14 year old radio to my Lana Del Rey CD, it felt perfect for the moment. I had a long way ahead of me, I told my Father I was going to Detroit to work as a doctor. I had never wanted to be a doctor, but what my Father doesn't know won't hurt him. I want to be a writer, which he would never approve of, "its not a secured way of a living," he would say. So I just won't tell him, I have a plan, a plan that no one but myself knows. All the money i have for college is now going to be spent on an apartment and furniture.

Thinking in dept of exactly what I want, when I finally realized I was nearly out of gas, I was near Chicago. I found a small gas station that reminded me of the one we have back in Jaspar, it was old, almost 60s-like. I walked in to pay for my gas, then quickly walked out. I had at least at 12 hour drive ahead of me and I couldn't waste a single frame of time.