1 . beach day

i sat on the sand with my surf board in my arm. i set it down on my left in the sand and pulled my knees up to my chest. i looked over to my best friend tyler.

"today is going to be awesome." i giggled. he shook his head and grinned. "you always say that, el."

"and when am i wrong?" i asked.
he narrowed his eyes at me and chuckled.

i pulled my hair back and slid a hair tie off my wrist, tying my hair into a slick pony. i noticed him looking at me and i punched his arm.
"quit getting distracted, lets start surfing!" i hopped up and picked my surfboard up, looking down at him.

he grabbed his dark blue surfboard and stood up, towering over me. he's about 6'3 and i'm 5'2 or 5'3. i darted towards the ocean and attached the string to my foot. i jumped into the water and started swimming out. i looked over to tyler and he waved, i waved back and got onto a wave, starting to surf the wave.

_________________
i surfed back onto the sand. i tripped on my board the moment it rushed under me. i winced before i felt a warm body catch me. i squinted my eyes open to see bright blue eyes and purple hair. i was faced towards the sun so i had to squint tightly. he pulled me level and crossed his arms, chuckling.
"careful there, seashell."

i leaned down and unattached the string from my ankle, picking up my surfboard. i smiled shyly and tucked my wet hair behind my ear.
"thanks, grape." i giggled and adjusted my surfboard in my arm.

"aw, cmon." he chuckled and his eyes moved to who i assumed was tyler. i turned my head and saw it was tyler, jogging down the beach towards us.
"hey, el. who's your friend?" he smoothed his hair from his face.

"oh, this is.." i turned towards him, realizing i didn't know this stranger's name.

"oh! i'm colby." he stuck his hand out to tyler for a handshake. tyler moved his surfboard to his left arm and shook colby's hand.
"hi, i'm tyler." he grinned. colby looked at me.

"oh, sorry. i'm ellie, or el." i shook his hand.
woah, can't believe i didn't notice this sooner but he's actually really cute.
and of course, my phone rang and interrupted my thoughts. i set my surfboard in the sand. "sorry, gotta take this, its from maddie." i jogged to the side and answered the call.

"hey, girl." i smiled.
"hey el!"
"what's up, what do you need?" i asked.
"oh, i was just wondering if you were near santa monica? i was hoping we could meet up and go to the coffee shop nearby?"
"yes! i'm actually here right now with tyler. we just finished surfing."
"awesome! i'll meet you there in 20 minutes."
"alright, see you, bye."
"bye cutie." she laughed.
i rolled my eyes with a smile and hung up. i ran back over to the boys who were both laughing.

"ooh, what did i miss?" i grinned, picking my surfboard back up.

"ah, nothing much." tyler said, looking to colby and they both smirked.
"okay, creeps." i chuckled. "so hey, uh, maddie wants to meet up at the cafe and hang."

tyler shrugged. "alright, sure."
i looked to colby. "it was nice meeting you grape."
"you too, seashell. you think i can maybe get your guys' number?"
"oh, for sure." tyler said and took colby's phone when he held it up. he typed in his number and handed it to me. i typed in my number and handed his phone back to him.
"alright, see you colbs." i walked past him while tyler followed. i couldn't help but look back at colby, and turns out he was looking back at me. i blushed and smiled at him, turning back and continuing to walk.

"so, you and colby?" tyler teased. i turned around and punched his arm. he rubbed it and acted as if he was in excruciating pain. i rolled my eyes as i turned back around and walked to the car. i opened the trunk of my 62' falcon and grabbed out my normal clothes. i pulled my black crop top over the top piece of my swim suit and some sweatpants over the bottom piece. i put the bag back in the trunk and saw tyler just had a black shirt and his swim trunks.

"you're driving." i tossed the keys to him. he caught them and grinned. "really?"
"yes, now let's go or we'll be late dummy."
he winked and slid into the drivers side of the car. i closed the trunk and hopped inside the passenger. "let's go." i smiled. he stared the car and pulled it into first gear, taking off. i looked out the window at the beach as we drove by it and eventually away from it. i sighed. tyler looked over to me. "what's on your mind, el?" i turned my head to him and frowned. "i just miss my dad, nothing big."

"ellie, i know its hard, but you're strong, you can get through it. maddie and i are here to help you through it all." he smiled sympathetically. "thanks, big head."
"hey!" he and i both laughed as we turned into the cafe parking lot.