1

It was a cold and stormy evening in this rat ridden excuse for a city. I had just gotten off a case about a lady murdering her famous husband and it sure was a tough one. It had left me horrendously tired and I was not looking forward to going back to work...so it was a good thing I was off tomorrow.

I sat back in my recliner, picked up my daily newspaper and let the creaking of the chair lull me to sleep. I wish I could say I slept well, but I don't like to lie.

I awoke to a feeling of intense heat and the smell of burning furniture. Just like out of a nightmare, my house was engulfed in flames. I quickly got up and ran to warn my significant other, Louise, but as soon as I approached the stairs, a giant wooden beam fell from the ceiling blocking me from doing so. I knew at that moment I had to get out before we both got flattened and cooked.

I sprinted to the door and like a miracle, made it out mere seconds before the house crumbled. I had turned to look at what used to be my house, consumed by pain and shock.

A few minutes later the firemen arrived, put the fire out, and looked for my deceased lover.
The fireman approached me. "Are you sure you weren't by yourself Xander? We found no burnt body. Just smoldering debris and singed carpets."

"Go back!" I cried in desperation, "She's in there, I swear... I swear!" My voice started to break.

Tears kept rolling down my cheeks. I didn't think they would stop. Grief, sadness, and most of all anger filled my head and heart. I had turned away from the firemen to channel my emotions. I don't understand why Louise wasn't in the house. Where could she have gone? How did the house catch on fire? Was someone trying to kill both of us?

All of these questions were spiraling through my head. I don't understand why this had to happen, but I guess I just started my next case.

I decided to call my brother, but he wasn't picking up his phone. That's usual for him though. I then called Louise's mother, Amy. The old woman was always one to worry. She never liked the idea of Louise leaving the house for me, so she made sure she was always in quick contact if ever needed. However, she did not answer her phone either. Amy always answered her phone when I called (being she thought something bad happened to her daughter) so I decided to head over to her house.

When I got to Amy's house, the door was open. I opened it even more, and the high pitched creak hurt my ears. I called out Amy's name, but I received no answer. Eventually, I made my way around the house with no sign of her. The only place I had not checked was the basement.

"Amy," I yelled down the stairs. Again, there was no answer, so I had no choice but to make my way down. The light in the basement was already on, which was really strange because she loved a low electricity bill. I stared at the light for a second. Maybe she just forgot to turn it off. She is old anyway. I decided to look in the closet. The only thing was that when I opened the door, a huge body bag fell out! I could tell by the size of it, Amy was the one in there.

"Listen to me, I'll get you out!" She was squirming so much. When I unzipped the bag, she laid down with her hands, feet, and mouth tied.

As soon as I untied her, I helped her up while she gasped for air. Amy breathed heavily for a few minutes. I didn't want to ask her questions until she was feeling better.

I looked into her eyes and could tell she was traumatized, shivering and crying. I realized my chances of getting some answers from her were slim to none. Slowly, so I didn't hurt her, I wrapped my arms around her torso and brought her to the living room.

When I sat her down on the sofa, she was still in a state of panic, hugging her knees to her chest. My chest tightened at the sight. Taking a breath, I walked into the kitchen and pulled out a glass, filling it with water.

As I walked back, I heard a soft thud. I rushed back into the living room and Amy was laying there, sprawled out on the floor. There was a puddle of blood under her head, a large gash going across the right side of her head. I dropped the glass, shards flying across the floor.

"What...?" Pulling out my phone, I called the police. They arrived five minutes later with an ambulance. I started crying again; my future mother-in-law just died from a random accident. The sheriff came over and asked me some questions as they were taking Amy's body away. I couldn't think straight, no matter how hard I tried. My fiance wasn't at home with me like I thought she was, and now her mother was dead from falling on a glass coffee table. This is the worst day of my life...or so I thought.

Once the officers stopped asking me questions, I went back to my house. The outer walls were charred, a light black layer covering the creamy white color of the house. I went to where my bedroom where Louise was supposed to be. When I got there, I pulled out a signed photo of Louise and I. My head started to become tense with all the thoughts soaring around in it, and slowly I fell onto my knees. A tear fell down my face.

I knew that this dreadful feeling had to stop. I had finally decided to just open a new case. I, however, needed a partner. Without my partner, Briar, I could not have solved my last case. Briar has always been there for me.

At the end of my last case though, she just walked out on me. I don't know why she did, but I still hadn't got the nerve to call her until now. My hand reached my back pocket to pull out my phone. I dialed her number. The phone rang for what seemed like an eternity. Until, I heard it pick up.

Someone please tell me if this makes any sense haha