Chapter 3

The next morning, I did my usual routine and walked on out of my house to school. Despite the sixty degrees weather from yesterday, the early mornings were still in the thirties, making me wear jeans and a hoodie. I smiled as I remembered how my mom would get on my case for not dressing warmer. The days she didn't have to leave for work until later, she still shook her head at me, but chose to say nothing. It's what I get for being crazy, I guess. 

Being alone as I walked to school, I decided to focus my thoughts on my other world. Putting aside the fact of what the government agent told me yesterday, I really wanted to speak with Silverfur. 

Since she was my best friend (Next to Fang, of course) I needed someone to talk to. Someone else to talk with about getting accepted into something I never signed up for or the strange feeling I got from the CIA agent.

Unlike the day before, I was able to go straight to it with no problem. I woke up in my den, hearing the wind blow outside the entrance. I stood up and walked outside, getting a nasty shock as the cold air blew snow right into my face. Of course, it was freezing in my world, and in the real world.

Struggling against the wind, I pushed my way to Shadowclaw's den. In colder weather, most of us wolves would go into his den and try to keep warm in there. His den was about six or seven times the size of my den so that he could get everybody together in one spot. While it was much darker, it was easier to make everyone out with the sight we had as wolves as well as the scents around us. 

Making my way inside, I soon found Fang and Sylv together next to Sepbtice and Wintei, a pair of mated wolves who were often placed together on hunts for their effective two-teamed take-downs.

"Hey, guys, how's it going?" I asked, sitting next to Fang.

"Not bad, not bad," Fang said casually

"Speak for yourself," Wintei muttered, "I'm freezing my paws off!"

"You just came in from hunting," Sepbtice pointed out patiently, licking him behind the ear, "Just wait a few minutes, and you'll be fine."

"Speaking of hunting," Sylv piped in, "Has anyone seen Silverfur?"

"No, actually I was looking for her," I commented, shaking out my fur.

I saw Sylv turned her head in curiosity as to where her sister was. They always had a strong bond with each other, so they were practically best friends. I also saw Fang's eyes look my way in amusement. It was just like him to know how I felt about the she-wolf. I know that she probably felt like we were just friends, but she most likely didn't know what I felt towards her.

Hiding my embarrassment, I glanced around to try to find Shadowclaw. Usually, he would be in his den in this kind of weather unless he was out hunting. And since the hunting group was back, he would usually be here.

"Sorry, I'm late." I heard a voice behind me. I turned to see Silverfur coming into the den, shaking off clinging snow. My heart did a cartwheel when I saw her come over. The snow that melted on her fur, made it shine in the dim light. Her silver fur made it seem as though she was glowing, making her look even more beautiful. What caught me was the sweet scent she seemed to carry. While I could smell blood from the hunt, there was something about the snow and evergreens that seemed to mingle with her that was almost relaxing.

I felt Fang nudge me, and I realized I was panting like a love-struck pup. Sadly, I was pretty damned sure that I was. I recovered myself in time and greeted her. She sat down next to me, seeming to not feel the raging storm that was the turmoil inside of me.

"Silverfur, where were you?" Sylv asked, obviously concerned.

"Out hunting. I would have been back with everyone else, but I decided to take a longer way back. But no luck with anything."