CHAPTER 4

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

AS THE DAYS GROW SHORTER AND COLDER, Solea can't seem to get away from Lily Evans. She doesn't have anything personal against the Gryffindor girl, but she knows exactly how her parents would react if she were to befriend her. So, she does her best to ignore her, but it's proving to be exceedingly difficult.

Every class they share, every study session, basically anywhere Solea might be, Lily is right there next to her (Severus can usually be found tagging along, as well). Lots of one-sided conversation ensues, and, despite herself, Solea is finding it easier to imagine being friends with the girl every time they interact. However, she knows that would be forbidden, and it'd be best not to talk to her.

The personal vow of silence is working somewhat well, until one night when Solea shows up for her night of prefect patrols and Lily is waiting outside the Great Hall for her.

"Hey, Solea. You ready to go?"

Solea stops in her tracks. "Where is Jamie?"

If Lily found the question rude, she doesn't show it. "He asked for the night off, and I said I could step in." She looks at a small golden watch on her left wrist. "Looks like we better get going, the third years will probably try to sneak out in fifteen minutes or so."

Solea wonders why the other Ravenclaw prefect asked to take the night off, but knows there's no use worrying about it now. She just has to survive the night with a painfully sweet girl.

The two walk around in a semi-awkward silence for some time. Sure enough, about fifteen minutes after they start patrolling the halls, a pair of third-year Gryffindor boys are caught sneaking around. Lily takes charge in reprimanding them and removing house points. A fire sparks in her eyes and the two boys actually look a little frightened, and Solea accidentally lets out a chuckle as they scurry away to escape Lily's wrath.

Lily's head snaps to Solea, shock parting her lips, before she grins wickedly. A bony elbow is nudged into Solea's ribs. "I can't believe the one time I get any sort of reaction out of you is when I scare a couple of thirteen-year-olds."

Solea looks down at her feet, hiding her smile with her hair, but the damage is done. Soon, the two girls are a mess of giggles, which breaks into full on laughter. As Lily wipes a tear from her eye and Solea shakes her head, the mood shifts slightly.

"Why won't you talk to me?" Lily asks once they've calmed down, suddenly growing serious. "If you don't want to be my friend, please just tell me."

Shame clouds Solea's eyes, and she can't bring herself to meet Lily's. "It's not that," she says quietly.

Lily stops walking, and Solea stops as well. "Then what is it? Is it because I'm a muggleborn?"

At that, Solea's head snaps up, shocked by her bluntness. "I... I don't-"

"I'm not stupid, Solea," Lily snaps, but then her voice softens. "Severus has told me about your name, about your family. I know where you come from, and I know what you all believe. But, I don't think you're like that. I've dealt with purebloods like that. They're very open about how they feel about me, about my kind. They make sure I know I'm scum, that I'm not supposed to be here. But you haven't made me feel like that, and I don't think you believe any of that. Unless I'm wrong about you and you're just too much of a coward to say anything."

Tears have formed in Solea's eyes and she blinks them back, but her voice is thick. "You don't understand my family, Lily- what they would do if they found out I was even tolerating you."

"No, I don't understand, so help me."

"Listen, I just-" Solea looks around, as if paranoid someone might overhear. "My parents have enough to be disappointed in. I can't bear to give them another reason to hate me."

Lily's eyebrows furrow. "You really think I would cause your parents to hate me?"

Solea's mind is racing by this point. "No that's not- well, yes, I suppose, but-"

"Solea," Lily puts a hand on the other girl's shoulder. "I want to be your friend. I think you want to be my friend, too. But I won't be friends with someone that sees me only in that light. Your family isn't an excuse. I don't understand what your family is like, but I know that you have the ability to be different."

Now, Solea allows a few tears to fall freely. "I don't know that I can. It's complicated."

Lily smiles sympathetically and rubs her shoulder gently. "If you use something being complicated as a crutch to not try, you won't make it through life. Good night, Solea."

With that, Lily walks away towards the Gryffindor tower, leaving Solea with much to think about.

.

.

I know I've said this countless times, but I love Lily so much. Also, I know Sirius hasn't really been in the story yet, but stay tuned for the next chapter! Remember to comment if you like. Thank you for reading!