two

This chapter will include swearing/strong language. Read at your own risk.

"Max, your friend is over!"

"Yeah, I'm coming!" she yelled back as she roughly brushed her tangled hair. Her hands hurried to grab herself a hair tie and ties it quickly. She tightens it by pulling the two sections of hair gently.

She sprinted to her front door and unlocks it with a hand, revealing the girl she had been waiting for, "Come in,"

The two girls walked in heavy silence, their steps being the only noise between them. She lazily shoves the wooden surface with her upper arm, with two fingers motioning the brunette to settle down on the mattress.

"Hey."

She silently cringes at her word selection and throws her an awkward smile. Her fingers fiddling anxiously as she waited for her response.

"Let's get started, shall we?"

With her skateboard carried on the side of her body, the wind blowing the dead gradient of orange and red leaves through the air, she scurried to the famous park near her home, planning to skateboard and sit under the huge lush tree.

The sound of laughter emerged into her ears as she reached the location, her fingers clasped on the simple skateboard and gently drops it onto the gravel surface.

Just as she was about to start skating, she hears a voice call out her name very clearly— "Max!"

She stops and turns her head to face him, throwing him a shy smile with one hand raised in the air, waving, "Hey, Stalker."

He strolls up to her, bowing down in a joking manner with a sly smirk formed on his lips, pulling a genuine chuckle from her part, "What are you doing here?"

She swings her skateboard in the air with an 'obviously' expression planted on her face.

"Right..." he awkwardly rubs the back of his neck.

"What are you doing here?" she asked back, pointing her forefinger at the boy.

"Was just— y'know, going out for a walk,"

"-with Erica."

She squinted her eyes, signifying that she was scanning the park for the younger girl. She flips around while eyeing the quite crowded area, still not catching her on sight.

"She's hanging out with a friend of hers near those slides," he refined.

Her mouth parts into an 'o' as she nods slowly. Explains a lot.

"Um, how was your project?" he brought up the topic since his girlfriend wouldn't stop talking about it. Call it curiosity.

She notices his intense stare, she ducks her head down and stares at the ground anxiously while rocking one foot back and forth moving the little pebbles, making friction, "It was okay, we still have a lot of things to do though,"

"Just okay?"

She let out a tiny sigh, and bit her inner cheeks, "It went well, we just lacked communication? I don't think she likes me, but whatever I guess!" she throws both of her arms in the air and let out a forced chuckle.

"Aw, man! I was hoping my best friend and my girlfriend would get along well,"

Hearing the statement felt like anything but reassuring. Her eyes widened quizically as she tilts her head in confusion. Did she hear him right?

"Girlfriend?"

The word seemed so unfamiliar in her ears.

He nodded shyly, gaze stuck on the path underneath, a side of his lips curving into a proud grin, "Yeah," he tilts his head back up to face the redhead, "Girlfriend."