3

Yongguk’s eyes widened

Yongguk’s eyes widened. “Hey! How do you know my name?” he asked with both a frown and a smile. “I swear to God if you turn out to be a stalker or something, I’ll be damned! No wonder this bastard just ran away like that for his life.” He asserted, pointing at the man’s bruised right cheek.

     She stared at the foul mouthed man. His slanted eyes, wide nose, thick lips and jawline as sharp as glass shard were telling people not to mess with him in silence. If she didn’t know better, she would tell him to repair his dictionary. “I… I saw you once, when I went to your high school. When you were teaching your students. I heard them calling your name.”

     He nodded. “Oh, really? Only once? Doesn’t add up.” He kneeled down to take a closer look at her. She was beyond beautiful, but it was never too wrong to be wary of strangers. “Just tell me the truth. How many times did you go to my workplace? Who are you? What do you want from me? Why are you so interested with me?” he bombarded her with questions after questions, and it didn’t seem like he would give up anytime soon.

     She sighed. “Yes. Only once. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but your voice was too loud and deep I couldn’t help but to listen,” she answered after putting quite some thoughts. Her voice was indeed deep according to his ears, so the pieces started coming together. “Oh, and I’m also good at names, faces, and places. This memory I have… it’s kind of strong.”

     He looked at her for some time, his eyes narrowed. “Okay, if you say so.” He said, to which she responded by another sigh of relief. “I believe you don’t want to leave this rotten man behind in this stink garbage of an alley, so you have to come together with me.”

     “Wh-where are we going?” she stammered.

     He stared at the shopping bags near the wall. “Definitely not wherever it is you’re going away from,” he said before standing up. “Come on. A passed out convict can’t walk by himself.” He stated, carrying the collapsed man on his back.

***

Among all places there were on Earth, a police station was not the one that came to her mind in her transient visit. But what The Almighty intended was what He would do. The horrid man was brought to justice, as she kept on asking The Almighty to forgive him. She could not witness any more of Kyungsoo’s terrible punishment, at least not when she was a human, the first time in million years.

     The police station was monochromatic and crowded. It was filled with people responding to calls, stacking their files, playing with their keychains, and people extracting information. She looked around the starting place of justice while Yongguk was explaining the chronology behind an unlikely trio of a woman who was holding her shopping bags, a man dressed in tracksuit carrying another man in his back, and an unconscious man with large bruise on his cheek who had come busting through the station’s door.