The gnashing teeth of the winter air

It was iced over outside. Icicles hung as I looked despairingly through the dusty, decrepit window. The water dripped at the same beat as the tears rolling down my face. It had been 5 years since the apocalypse was created. I was in a small house outside of the main compound. The military said that it wasn't going to be that bad. Yet 5 years later, it was completely out of control. There was a cracking noise coming from the back door. I turned to see what was called a crawler. It slithered close to my leg as I stabbed it straight through the head. It was the only way to kill it other than shooting it which was too loud. I saw a shiny metal thing pointing out of its shirt pocket. It was a pen. A goddamn pen. In an apocalypse. I pulled it out but a piece of paper fell out too. I read the scrawled out note.
'To anyone reading this, I'm probably dead. I worked in the army before and I loved someone very dearly. This was because of them. Not the one I love. Just the army. In my trouser pocket is a switchblade. Please take it.Please be responsible and Alexis. I love you.' Holy shit. I just killed my bffs boyfriend. Oh by the way, the names storm. Well, that's what I go by. My real name is Adrianne but I hate my name so I go by my code name.  I was brought up  in a small town where many people came to die. My parents thought it would be a good idea to make me, then send me off to a military school. I ended up staying there since mother and father didn't want me back. I found my own family in the military base. Ah the good old days.

————***————***————

It was dull in this shit-hole but the only thing keeping me alive was my family. Jamie, Erin, Xander, ruby, and Alexis. We called ourselves the 'base patrol'. It was free time at the base and the base patrol wanted an adventure. We ran through the compound like it was a daycare, we knew the place like the back of our hands. All except for one place, where we never dared to go. The lab. The guards say that it's dangerous.  But do we care? Ha no. Me, Alexis, X and Jamie were contemplating what to do. Ruby and Erin were being babies and didn't want to go. We told the soldiers guarding the door that General Graham had told us to check on the staff. They reluctantly agreed after we handed them a heavily forged note. Gullible idiots. We walked through, the scientists staring at the 4 strange, stray army kids, wandering somewhere we shouldn't. If only we knew that then.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I awoke from the flashback to a gunshot and then the window lit up with red. Alexis was home. Shit. I forgot about her boyfriend....now ex boyfriend's corpse was rotting on the floor. 'Sup my superhero..' she said freezing mid-sentence. 'Is...is that who I think it is?' She questioned. I nodded holding up the knife, tears welling up in my stupid, small eyes. 'I'm so so sorr..' I started.
'Which one is it?' She asked.
'W-what?' I stuttered.
'Jamie or xander?' She asked completely fine with it either way.
'It's X, I'm so sorry' I whimpered.
'I left them, it was me or the both of them, and I was scared if you would yell at me and..' she started tears welling up 'I didn't mean to, I..I...I...I would rather have been killed but it was just instinct' she blurted out.
She ran into my arms and I embraced her. I was holding a secret close to my heart, I couldn't tell anyone about it. Or that was what I was taught. That night, once she had settled down, and I had fixed the door, I gave her Xanders note. Jamie got in late with new clothes, water and food, which was amazing. We all snuggled on the sofa when Jamie got up.
'Where are you going?' I asked.
'Guard duty, someone has to do it and it's my turn tonight anyway,' he muttered.
'Fine, but I'm doing it tomorrow since, ya know, he's loooooong gone, sorry X' I said whilst whittling down a stick to calm my nerves.
I must have dosed off as I was awoken to a whistle. I sat straight up, knowing the sound all too well.
'That's not even funny, I'm going out to forage today by the way.' I yelled, turning my voice into a mutter.
Jamie and Alexis thought it would be funny to use the 'zombies incoming ' whistle to sound like the whistle that will forever bring back ptsd.
————***————***————
We ended up in the chemistry lab where they were testing a gene and we saw someone, whom was in a cage, get injected with a weird bubbly chemical, glowing with radioactivity, neon green, almost blinding me. Within minutes the man was foaming at the mouth, his arms going limp, his face sagging, almost as if an old man had rabies. He started going green as they sampled his blood through a tube, built into his cage. It was a strange blackish greenish colour with white froth atop of the liquid. Then a scientist put a label on the vial of blood labelled 'the overpopulation fixer' and as soon as the man started to break the cage we scarpered. They shot it as we got to safety.
'You ok storm?' Jamie asked extremely politely.
They call me storm because of my temper. If someone did something wrong I would yell at them. It was how I was bought up. I wish I could have no flaws because that would would make my life a hell of a lot easier...
__________________________________________________________________________________________

'Can we move? Please.' Jamie said, edging nearer to the door.
'I guess' I muttered.