Chapter Fourteen: Found

"Why would they want to do that to their own... family?!" Aya exclaimed. Jay looked at her.

"Charlemae's not like my mother. Ever since becoming the Queen she... changed. She was meaner, greedier... that's when she started taxing people more. Especially us. She had a special hatred for my mum, and when she married and had children, she hated us, to. Even more when her husband died" he said.

"But... they would go this far!?" Aya asked, astonished.

"Of course they would! They're evil. Or at least they are in my mind," Jay said.

"Honey, I think at least Princess Valentine has a chance. Charlemae is far from good, and her husband was just the same," his mum said.

"Mummy, where are we going?!" Toni asked, tugging on his mum's shirt.

"Toni-" Mari said, but she didn't finish. A carriage was rolling through the woods, trampling plants.

"Well, well, well. Mari! So good to see you! And Jay! You are growing up so fast! Oh, look at little Toni! And we can't forget Roy, of course! It's just like you to marry a commoner like him!" Queen Charlemae glared at Jay's dad, who glared back. "Oh, my! Suddenly, of course! Poor little servant! You've joined the wrong family! And who is this?" the Queen said, looking at Aya.

"My... my best friend. There are things about her you don't know about! Don't mess with her!" Jay said. He said it like she had superpowers or something.

"Oh, we will be messing with all of you!" the Queen laughed. Yeah, maybe she really was evil. "Take them to the dungeons! Quick!"

A group of soldiers came up to them and bound their hands. They dragged them all the way to the palace.

When the soldiers were pushing them through the doors, a girl with perfect waves of golden blonde hair and sparkling violet eyes entered the room. She was wearing a bejeweled pink nightgown, though it looked more like a casual dress for a rich girl.

"Mother! Why are they here?!" she asked. She flipped her hair and pouted in disgust. This was the girl that Mum had said had a chance?! thought Jay. Well, she was wrong.

"Sweetie pie, we are going to take them into the dungeon. Say goodbye if you want to," Queen Charlemae said, looking a bit annoyed.

"Wait! Let the little one stay! Please! And the maid!" Princess Valentine said. Well, maybe she did have a chance.

"fine, daughter. Just give the maid the worst servant's quarters ever!" Charlemae spat. She untied Toni and Suddenly's hands and led them up to Valentine.

"Deal with them yourself, dear," she said. The rest of the prisoners were led down a series of stairs and thrown into a dark, cold room filled with disgusting smells and puddles of water.

They sat there for a while, quiet, until Mari broke the silence, saying, "It's the middle of the night. We'd better get some sleep," Jay's parents were soon dozing off, but Jay and Aya stayed awake.

Aya was crying silently.

"Curse Solona for getting you into this," said Jay.

"No, it's not bad here. I love it here! I- I don't really have a family back home. It's just, how am I going to get out of this?" Aya motioned around the dungeon. "I never thought this would happen. At least it's better than that dingy old orphanage. And Miko's still at the tent. She's probably just going to run around here for the rest of her life," she said.

"I'm sorry. I wish we could get out of here. Or at least you. This isn't even the world you're supposed to live in," Jay said.

"It's okay, Jay. I like this world better anyway. At least I have you," Aya said, smiling slightly. And it was then when Jay felt something new blossoming in his heart. He felt love for someone other than his family, and he finally had a friend.