chapter 2

The flashing lights of new york city shone through my window into my small room of my apartment. My parents are never usually home and when they are it's not for a long time so i'm usually taking care of myself.

I've been over to dally's and he is in pretty much the same situation as i am.

Today i wanted to go meet up with him and skip school to go to the park or to the candy store. I grabbed my bag and ran down the stairwell the to entrance of my apartment building and started jogging towards dally's place. Something felt off but i just ignored it.

When i arrived i noticed his room light was off and his parents seemed to be home. Is he already out doing something? I walked up to the front door and knocked for it to be opened by his father. "And you are?" "Im uh- Jackie. Dallas' friend. Is he home?" His mother was pacing around in the back "No we haven't seen him at all do you have any idea where he went?" "No sir. I'm sorry." Where is he? i turned around and went back outside and back home to figure out where he is. When i opened my book i noticed a small piece of paper inside one of my candy wrappers with writing on it.

Jackie,
You probably noticed i'm gone by now but don't worry. i'll be back soon. i just can't take this anymore and i needed to clear my head. i'm outside of the city by now in a calm place. Don't worry about me.
                     - Dally

So he's gone. My only friend is gone. For god knows how long. Hopefully he's back soon like he said. Maybe i will spend this time doing the same as him. Clearing my head.

I walked around the large city with thoughts roaming my head about where he could be. He must not be very far since he's only 10 years old and left in one night. Maybe he's in the next city over? I shouldn't worry about this. He will come back, I trust him. I would trust him with my life. Maybe i will spend today doing what we were gonna do, just alone this time.

The park was quieter than usual so the creaking of the swing could be heard from the trail where people walked. As soon as I was about to get up i could hear more creaking. I looked over and noticed a child about my age sitting on the swing next to me. "Hi." "Hi!" Well that's an energetic kid. "I'm Michael." "Jackie." "Nice to meet you " I nodded in return. "What are you doing here by yourself?" "I could ask you the same." Most kids my age annoy me i don't really hang out with anybody else. "I just came to play, don't have much friends." "Yeah don't we all." "Yeah.." he looked quite lonely. I guess i could do with him until Dallas is back.

Michael and i have spent the past week playing at the park and sightseeing the city and I must say it's pretty fun with him. He's not as boring as I thought he would be. "Want a sip?" He motioned his bottle of Coca-Cola towards me. I was mainly staring at the ground while i was walking but i could still see it in my view. I went to grab it but then i noticed a very familiar pair of shoes in front of me "Sure.." I looked up to see who it was. No way. "Dal?" "Hi Jackie. I told you i would be back." He leaned in for a hug but i pushed him off of me which left him looking confused and kinda hurt. "What's wrong?" He looked towards me then looked next to me. "Oh i see.." "No. You left me with just this small note," I pulled the note out of my bag "Without saying goodbye or anything. I was so lonely." "I'm really sorry Jackie I really needed it. Can i explain to you at your place?" I nodded and looked over to Michael and he nodded in approval and i gave him a slight smile as i walked off with Dal.