Chapter Four: The End

Val looked Josie right in the eye. 

Josie looked up, but not into Val’s eyes. 

Val’s pistol was in its holster.
Josie’s was in her hand. At her side, but still in her hand. 

Val was at the disadvantage. 

Another dry piece of tumbleweed rolled by. 

Val wiggled their fingers as if daring Josie to make a move.

Josie was clenching the gun so tight her hand was turning white. 

It was now or never. 

Val drew their gun so fast that Josie’s eyes widened after the gunshot. Not that Val saw it, because she had leapt behind a barrel. Val ran forward a bit to a stack of crates. They peaked their head out for a second, but only saw a bullet whiz past them. They tucked behind the crates again and saw the word “grenade” written on one of the crates. They quietly opened a crate and took out a grenade. They gave Josie one final chance. 

“You don’t have to do this.” Val called. “You could be doing so much more with your life, but instead you’re just risking your life for nothing.”

“I’m risking my life for revenge!” Josie shouted. “After I kill you, I’ll kill Alyssa, and Quinn, and Sofa-”

“Sofia.” Val corrected. 

They thought they heard a sob coming from behind the barrels. 

“Then I’ll kill Gavin, and his sidekick, and Annie!”

“Annie’s dead.” Val shouted. Silence followed. 

“She’s dead?” Josie asked. 

“Dead as a doorknob.” Val said. 

Josie fired at the crates. She wasn’t even aiming. Val shouted, “Toss out your weapon, Josie!” 

The firing continued. Val wished with all their heart that Josie wouldn’t hit a grenade. Val pulled the pin and tossed it over. They heard a gasp before pulling their hands over their head. 

BOOM!

Following the boom was a quiet ringing. Val turned and looked over the crates. There was nothing left of where Josie had been standing. Val let out a shaky breath before remembering the others. 

    They raced toward the saloon. Inside, Quinn had propped herself up against the wall, and Sofia and Alyssa were both still unconscious. Val ran to Quinn who was bleeding. Quinn’s eyes fluttered open and she said, “What happened to Josie? I heard an explosion.”

Val sucked in. “Yeah, about that…” 

“Is a-” Quinn started to shake. “Is a-”

“Is a what?” Val asked, but they looked to where Quinn was looking. Isobel was getting up. She had been shot in the arm, and she was holding the wound. 

    Val went for her gun, but Isobel said, “Wait!”

“Give me one good reason I shouldn’t blast you!” Val yelled. Isobel explained, “I only did this for the money. But if Josie’s dead, I can use the money to pursue my dream of becoming a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader!”

“What?” Val said, confused. 

“Peace out.” Isobel said, walking out the door. She poked her head back in. “Do you have any gauze?” She motioned to her bullet wound. 

“There’s a hospital down the road.” Val told her. “But I would-”

“Val?” Alyssa had awoken. “What happened?”

Val looked back to Isobel who had left, and turned back to Alyssa. “I may have blown up Josie.”

“She was a bitch.” Alyssa said. 

Val searched for the right words but just nodded their head in agreement.