1) Coming Home

Natasha sat on the edge of the bed that was directly in front of the bland entrance to the room. She slid back, resting her red curls against the dull blue walls. Pressing her hands onto the smooth gray duvet she closed her eyes. 

She was waiting anxiously for the return of her partner from a recent mission in Venice, Italy. It had been over 4 months since they had last seen each other.

The last two days had been used in DC, the city in which SHIELD had chosen to base it's Head Quarters. Her last mission had been in Brazil's rainforest, supervising a biochemist and an engineer, both who have level 5 clearance in SHIELD. She was only gone for about a week but it felt like a month, being stuck in the greenery of the rainforest.

As soon as Natasha had gotten back to SHIELD HQ she couldn't bare to wait any longer so she asked her partner's handler where exactly her partner exactly was and when he would be returning.

"Two days, Miss Romanoff, two days," Agent Coulson had replied. 

That meant that the next 48 hours were spent between the apartment and SHIELD's gym and work out area.

When 5 o'clock on Wednesday morning finally came around Natasha retreated back to the bedroom to wait. 

Lost in her thoughts and in the sound-proofed apartment she didn't hear the unlocking of the multiple and ridiculous protection precautions on the entrance to the apartment. 

"Nat!" he called out, "you here? Natasha?" He strode through the short hallway and muttered to himself, "Phil said you would be here."

He slipped up a minor staircase and approached the bedroom. He quietly opened the door to reveal a tired looking Natasha Romanoff who was staring at him intently.

"Natasha," he breathed.

"Clint"

They both made their moves towards each other, hands reaching for a meaningful embrace.

"I missed you," he muttered into her fiery red hair.

"I missed you, too," her face buried in the crook of his neck.

Clint Barton lifted his head from her hair and looked at her and said, "Come on, Romanoff, let's go to the kitchen, we need cocoa," he smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead and then led them to the door.