Chapter 1:

ꕥ 1 ꕥ

1

   Curses left his lips as his finger came to a halt on the Apple laptop. Searching through his mind, he thought deeply for a solution. Could the solution be found inside him, or was it in her?

He could phone in a friend, but who knew if she was truly interested or even in Toronto? Opening his phone, he went to her contact, scrolling till he saw the location. "She's in the towns," he quietly mumbled to himself. How could she be home and not say a word to anyone? Tapping the FaceTime notification, the call was immediately declined and replaced with an automated message, 'In a meeting, what's up?'.
'Pull up,' 'say less,' Looking back at the thread, he wonders what she was doing about the meeting she was in.

His best friend and mentor taught him almost everything he knew about music. She held many titles; she was a woman of many trades, an entrepreneur, an engineer, and a DJ for some of her life, and that's exactly why he held so much respect for her.

Damz, the first engineer and producer to make billions, claimed her Nigerian nationality and her Canadian background proudly, and they claimed her just as happily. Holding all of Canada and Nigeria on her back, her family always spoke of her success, even the family she'd never met.

   The simple fact they shared a last name was a good enough reason to claim her. How does 'My daughter is the first billionaire in her entire family and not in Naira' sound for a good brag session?

As the best in her field, she enjoyed pushing her boundaries. Using her skills like a muscle, she tried to tone every part of her ability so he knew she'd pick up the phone during his time of need.

Knowing his best friend, he understood her concern for safety, and his contractual agreement sat as safety for her; he was tied to one artist and one alone, and only under permission was Noah allowed to work with others. Leaking isn't an option and is also a rare occasion. Music was her safe space.

Knowing that he understood he'd never abuse or misuse her help, a loud knock was cast on the studio door, causing him to rise from his seat and open the locked door.

Behind the bodyguard, she stood, moving a spare curl from her bangs "Hello!" Her white smile flared as she stepped out from behind. Then, rocking back and forth, he said, "The fuck you mean 'Hello?'" as he pulled her from her position. A soft laugh left her lips as she rubbed his back. Interrupting their hug, the corded phone that hung off the wall blared, "Can you get that for me, please?" Pulling away from Damz, he dapped the security guard before walking elsewhere.

"Why not get it yourself?" she asked, just to be waved off by Noah and her security Ugh, I should've never introduced y'all to each other," she mumbled to herself as she walked over to the cream phone and took it off the hook. "Hello", she said, her voice stiff and faint.

"Excuse me, where's 40? This sounds like a woman." the man's voice on the phone wasn't deep or rough but it wasn't smooth she didn't know what to think of it "Noah stepped out for a little while, but I can take a message." Looking through her peripherals, she looked for a pen and paper. Even though she was quite nervous, she held her composure well...or so she thought.

The man on the other line looked at his golden iPhone, frowning his thick brows. "Okay, um, I can't find a piece of paper but I'll try to remember the message"

"It's whatever, just tell him Driz called-"

"Driz as in Drake," Damz repeated. "Yes yes, tell him I called about Project #1199."
"Oh okay" An awkward pause occurred between the two, in Damz' head, she pondered whether to say Good Evening or Goodbye. "Who am I speaking with?" Drake asked and a surge of panic came over her, Taking too long would create even more panic so she blurted the first name that came to mind "My name is Dee-Danielle" "Well, Dee-Danielle you have a good evening." His chuckle was smooth like Irish cream Damz's lips curled in a small grin.

"It's just Danielle Sir but thank you, Have a good evening as well" Hanging up the call she sighed running her fingers against her loose blue jeans. Sitting in one of the rolling chairs, she waited for Noah, twenty minutes passed before he came in with plastic bags "Before you yell at me, I got you a McFlurry," he cracked a stiff smile.

"That's where yall went?"

"Nah, we just had a lil deep conversation for about 20 minutes, then came up with an excuse for our lateness." Placing a bag and the cup of ice cream in front of her, she happily took the excuse, "Roxx never lets me have Ice cream, he says it's all unnecessary fat." rolling around the room Noah went ahead and played the track for her.

Nodding her back and forth, she said, "This isn't your beat" She yawned while eating another spoonful of ice cream.
"It's not, The boss wants me to make it sound like me" Nodding her head in understanding, she pulled off her gray leather jacket before getting to work.

Three hours later, the food purchased was more than finished and Damz cracked the code, "Damz," Noah called, shaking her shoulders "Damz!" "yes," she lowly smiled, adding her last little touches "Damz with the Midas touch!" hiding her face Noah tried to move her hand.

"Y'all hear this" Everyone in the studio nodded heavily to the song she had finessed, no one in the studio was new to her 'Midas touch'.
Her security knew she was talented and so did the minor OVO members, "Yo Damz you are sick as fuck and it scares me that you only get better. I know we are close but you are like my mentor you keep me busy tryna get your level of blessed. Like every time I think I one-up you you completely humble my ass" Shaking her head she turned down the volume so she could hear him better.

"People find it so easy to hate you 'cause there's no face to the name, these social media thugs be bullying the fuck out of your name and I respect your silence cause at the end of the day your talent speaks volumes. People are fucking sick and I hope they get what ten times the karma for spewing on your name"

"Amen" She giggled, the truth was the comments did burn her skin. She had been waiting for years to show who she was, to accept awards at award shows, interviews, or simply hang out with her friends or mentors publicly.
Some people are genuinely miserable commenting on how Damz must look like since they'd never come to show but always worked beside legendary status artists.

Eating at her self conscious she worked harder than anyone Noah's ever seen, sleeping and eating music. Every penny that was hers was well earned with zero scandals.
"Damz it's all love bro"
"You know I love you but I'm really about to cry so stop" Hearty laughter left the room as members dispersed from the studio.

When it was empty Noah spun in his chair freely with his laptop in his lap while Damz sent the record to be mixed and mastered.

"On some real shit, you could write or engineer for OVO" Side-eyeing Noah she rolled her eyes. "You told me to stay yards from that man and now you want me to work for him"
"The same way you used to" Noah grinned poking at her thigh.

"Aht you know it wasn't like that and I'm not taking the same money I took before"
"Oh so you upping the price"
"Yup"
"We'll match it".

"Draft a contract and send it to my lawyers"
"Ohhh Mercy fine ass, I def won't forget".