chapter two

There's a sharp knock on Mark's door as soon as the clock strikes nine, startling Mark as he looks up from his papers sprawled out on his desk around him

At the disturbance, Mark places down the report that he was reading through before quickly looking down at his clothes, making sure he was presentable before then striding over to the door. Swinging it open, he comes face to face with Jaemin who is comfortably leaning against the door frame, quite nonchalant as he smiles cheekily.

"A man on time" He muses as he looks over Mark's attire, his eyes going from the tucked in white blouse to the loose fit trousers, his grin only widening, "I like it"

Mark opens his mouth as if he's about to say something but closes it promptly, feeling his face begin to heat up under the boy's gaze.

He watches on, only slightly embarrassed as he sees Jaemin grin at his response, gesturing for Mark to follow him out of the room and down the corridor, ready to explore the area much like Mr Na had suggested the other day.

He was prepared for such an activity as he was dressed for it, but still he couldn't believe it had already reached their agreed upon time. Anyhow, Mark obediently follows the other boy, trusting him to get him where they needed to be.

They peacefully make their way down the left wing of the country house only to then descend down the stairs and escape through the back of the mansion, passing by the room where Mark remembers he had met both Jaemin and his father last night before the impressive dinner.

As soon as Jaemin throws open the grand glass doors, obviously excited for whatever he had in store for Mark, the pair are greeted by the warm sunshine and the somewhat comforting vision of acres of lush green land laid out before them- Mark's jaw dropping just that little bit as he is finally able to appreciate the Na's grounds.

Despite seeing glimpses of their property yesterday, Mark still couldn't believe that such a place existed on this Earth, for it was beautiful.

There's a stream off to his left that seems to run down by the house and out to the neighbouring fields, and before he truly comprehends where they're wondering to, Jaemin seems to gravitate towards the still water, the surface glistening gorgeously like citrine diamonds under the morning sun.

They walk along the riverbank, making small talk about their companies, Jaemin trying rather unsuccessfully to get Mark to open up about himself, as he always manages to curb Jaemin's curious questions, bringing the focus back round to work.

They're a good quarter of the way down the river when Mark responds with his first question, just an observation that had been on the tip of his tongue since the meeting in the drawing room yesterday evening.

"You seem very close with Mr Na" He states, his mind wondering over how comfortable they seemed with each other, how they joked... how there was this tenderness to their gazes that felt so foreign to Mark within a family setting.