can love be defined?

One day I asked someone, "so, are you gay? " , she smiled and said "no! ". I went blank the very moment and wondered why would she be with me if she's not gay. That very second I realized, WE FALL FOR SOULS, NOT FOR BODIES.

I've read a lot of romantic books and I always wondered why is it compulsory to fall for Somebody of the opposite sex. As I grew up, I came to about queers and how people were scared of them. LOVE is indeed a big term and for a kid like me it was as hard as calculus.

I heard somewhere that the Greeks believe that earlier humans had four legs and four arms and one head with two faces. They felt complete and were happy. So God seperated them into two people for longing in search of each other. Love is exactly what we need to find our other lost half.

Once I was talking to a friend of mine, she loves reading spiritual books. She recited me the story of Shams and Rumi. Rumi was the "master student" of shams, a wanderer widely famous for his writing and the name itself Shams Tabriz. Shams barely noticed Rumi until Rumi was in his 20s. Rumi belonged to an elite background while Shams was a poor wandered.

After 16 years of their own lives, they encounter again. Shams was in his 60s and Rumi was still in his 30s. As soon as Rumi looks at Shams he feels a connection. A connection that he never felt with his wife. Something so strong that Rumi had to take shams home. They became friends and did yoga together. Rumi never said no to Shams, because he knew he was the one.

After two years of their friendship Shams was extinguished by Rumi's youngest son. Affected by his death and now deprived of his love Rumi became a poet. He wrote merely about Shams and their friendship.

What shams and Rumi had was Love. They barely touched each other but they loved each other more than we can ever imagine. Love can never be defined, it can only be compared.

Today, we've termed everything, we call them queers. But what Shams and Rumi had, can it be called as queer?  The answer again would be, "No! ". Because they fell for souls not for bodies.

There's no type of souls, souls have no gender. We can name everything but we can't name souls. We fall for the way someone makes us feel, the way everything becomes easier, the way everything starts to make sense with their mere presence. How can we define this feeling? 

Because WE FALL FOR SOULS, NOT FOR BODIES.

Like Rumi says,

"From the dust of the earth to a human being,
there are a thousand steps.
I have been with you through these steps,
I have held your hand and walked by your side.

And I will be with you
as you move beyond this human form
and soar to the highest heavens."