one

Dei never expected for her life to turn out this way, but in all honesty, she should've expected it.

Her mother was quite the "character" - respectful to the public, but behind closed doors it was as if a light switched. Loud, crass, and she held very strong... "beliefs." There were multiple occasions where Dei had wanted to start an argument with her, but they both knew how it would end. Her mother was always right, after all.

So, when she had been told that they were tight on funds, Dei wasn't surprised. This wasn't the first time this had come up and it certainly wouldn't have been the last. However, the the next sentence is what shocked her -

"..we're going to have to sell you."

...The fuck? Wasn't that the thing that they said in those horribly clichéd, teenage fanfictions written by horny 13 year old girls? Who was she even working for? When she expressed her concerns, all she got was her mom snapping at her to "leave her alone, now." Was this actually happening?

The short answer was yes.

In the span of the next few months she had to pack her bags and prepare to travel and work for this unknown company. In time, Dei found out that the reason she had to go at all was due to her parents both owing money to some big corporation. She just needed to stay there until she made enough money to pay back the debt,  and then she could return home.

She got into the car with little fanfare. Her brother was in the car with her, her mother driving. The car ride was silent. Her brother looked deeply upset, but remained quiet. They planned to just drop her off at the airport and leave Dei to figure it out. She was frustrated, but at the same time it might've been harder with them all there, watching her board.

She briefly wondered how legal all of this was.

Nevertheless, she said goodbye to her younger brother and got out of the car. She was able to bring her ferret - lovingly named Draco after the "Harry Potter" series - with her, for which she was eternally grateful.

She had to go through security all by herself, which was nerve-wracking as all hell. Some strangers took pity on her and explained to her how to do certain things, for which she was grateful, but it didn't help her cluelessness. She nearly missed her flight over to "Los Angeles." Dei supposed that it could definitely be somewhere worse.

Goodbye, New Jersey.