A day of Hell

I sighed quietly, slipping on a giant grey sweater and some black ripped jeans. Slightly limping, I made my way to the bus stop. "ALEX!" My best friend, April yelled, running up to me. "Hey," I stated, waiting for my overly energetic friend to go off on a rant about something. "Alex, we're almost two months into the school year and you haven't done anything with me since summer!" She whined. I rolled my eyes, "Hey, at least I'm on track to graduate. Tell you what, if you get your Spanish grade to a C, I'll hang out with you." "Gosh, you sound like my mom." She whined again an I laughed. "It's because I care sweetie." I said mockingly, climbing into the beat-up bus.

April talked most of the way to school, only stopping to take a breath once in a while. I yawned, smiling as my friend continued her one-sided talk. "An he was all like- you like me don't tchu? An I was like Bish get the pole out yer arse an we'll talk- you get me?" I laughed, patting her back, "Never have." She laughed along, waiting for me at my locker. Pulling out my notebooks and stuffing my lunch into my locker, April and I made our way to Mr.Saltsman's class. I sat in the back, April to my left and Tyler Lockwood to my right. "It's like he's not even trying! He just expects everything an doesn't even have the curtesy to say 'thanks'! I hate him. I hate him so much." She groaned. "Who are you talking about?" I whispered. "Tyler Lockwood." At that I snorted, earning an irritated glare from Tyler.

I sighed as the lunch bell *Finally* rang. "Hallelujah! I thought that class would never end." April whined, coming out of math class while I walked out of English. I laughed patting her back, "There, there, the bad numbers are done for the day." She rolled her eyes at me, laughing along, "Yeah whatever. Hey, wanna sit outside?" I shrugged, "Sure." We got our lunches and sat under the biggest tree on campus. "Just think, a few more years and I'll be graduating from Yale." I snorted, "Not with those grades." "What is it with you and my grades? I mean. . . Yale might still want me. . . Right?" I shrugged, "Sure." "Hey, do you feel like we're being watched?" She suddenly whispered. "No? It's a big school, we could have a Freshman stalker." She hummed, nodding slightly. I waved to April once the bell rang, heading into 5th period math.

Who was the 'genius' that decided letters should go with numbers? Just spent 1 hour FRYING my rain into mush for no real reason. BUT! At least now is my off period. An hour to do nothing but time for everything. So like a smart person, with decent grades, I went to the library to finish my homework. Seeing as most of it was already done, about 20 minutes later I just sat there, bored out of my mind. I thought about grabbing a book- it is a library after all, but then I remembered that I've read most of the 'worth-while' books in the library. The ones I haven't read are currently checked out, so I gotta wait FOREVER to read a decent book. Great. "Do you need some help Ms.Garcia? I finished my homework early." I asked the older librarian. "That would be wonderful dear, could you put those books away on the shelves for me?" I smiled, nodding and going to the book cart.

Once the bell rang, I quickly put the cart away and made my way to ASL 20. I'm studying so I can spend even less time talking to people. A slow and confusing hour later, I was done with school. The other kids still had about two hours left, but I finished most of my elective classes early and only need to be there for the core classes. Instead of waiting for April- and the bus, I shot her a text saying to meet me at the public library once school was out. Sometimes, I go to random places and volunteer to- shelve books, wash dishes, help set stuff up, etc. Once in a while I'm offered a job or some money. I mainly do it because there's not much to do at home. My Nana was supposed to be retired, but when my parents 'disappeared' and she was given custody, she had to keep working. The money I get either goes to, the shopping money, my collage funds, rent payment. It would be better if I got a job, but I technically work at the places I volunteer, they pay me in cash hourly.

"Hey kid, we don't need you today, Melissa told me to send you over to the Hospital, she said she'd need you." I nodded, "Thanks Gregg's." I quickly texted April with an update, swiftly walking over to the Mystic Hills hospital. "Ms.McCall told me to come here?" I asked Stacy, the lady currently residing behind the receptionists desk. "Oh, yes, you are needed in room 109. Put on some scrubs before you go in there." I nodded, heading towards the 'staff only' room.

"His name is Peter Hale. He's kinda like a coma patient, we did some test, he can hear everything just can't really respond, so we thought it'd be nice for you to read him a story or two?" I shrugged, "Sure, why not." "As usual, once April gets here we'll give you a 15 minute break." I nodded, heading into the room. "H-hi. Um, I'm not used to talking to myself really, but I'm hear to read you some stories. My names Alex." I breathed in shakily, taking one of my books from home out of my bag. Damn, why am I so nervous? "I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't wanna hear about princesses and knights in shinning armor, so I have a couple more. . . Adult books with me." I laugh a bit at the 'adult' part. This is definitely going to be an interesting experience.

___
1028 words
Unedited