2

I shuffled as quickly as I could before the intercom blasted again
" Ava Hartwell, last call for Ava Hartwell!"

By this time, I had gotten to the door, so I took a deep breath and opened the door.

I was met with the instant coolness of the room and a woman who looked like she was in her late thirties.

She had the aura of a rich woman but someone that wasn't proud but was content with where she was.

I was wondering why she was the one doing the interviews and not her husband who was the direct CEO of the company.

She smiled at me and motioned to the seat in front of her.

I shuffled to it in the most unnoticeable way I could, sat down and handed her my file which was similar to the one placed on the table in front of her.
After comparing both of the files, she looked up at me and said.

"Ava Hartwell, right?"

Well that's what the two damn files said.

"Yes ma'am" I answered

"You went to a very good high school, how come you went to college online? "

I couldn't tell her the truth, could I?

"Family issues" I answered.

She nodded slowly looking at my file again.

"It also says here that you have been arrested before as an accomplice in second degree murder." She said.

"It was a mistake . I wasn't an accomplice. Just an unfortunate...bystander."

By this time, my palms were clammy and sweaty even though I was shivering from the intense air conditioning.

"But there is a fee you can pay to permanently erase that from your criminal record" she said eyeing me suspiciously. "I didn't have the money." I said

She sighed and asked "Do you have any skills concerning textiles?"

"Yes ma'am. My dad owned a textile company. All my skills are contained in my file including the questions that were sent to me through email" I said motioning to the file.

"Yes, yes of course." She said nodding as if she was afraid if making me feel like I was in control.

"We will contact you if you get you job. We would have told you now but we need to make sure from the police department. Latest by tomorrow , we will contact you. Thank you very much, Miss Hartwell. I really-" she was cut off by a knock on her door.

"Come in" she said.

The door opened and in walked the same girl that had ridiculed me for my dressing. She glanced briefly at me and walked straight up to the woman who was interviewing me.

She said "Good morning Amy. I need to speak to you."

"Privately" she added glancing at me again.

Amy looked at me and said" that will be all Avery."

I nodded and grabbed my purse and left the room.

As I closed the door, I started thinking of other possible jobs I could do because I was certain I wasn't getting the job.