Part Two

The illusionist held the audience captive under his spell. The crowd gasped, cheered, and clapped ever so frequently. They ooh-ed and ahh-ed at every trick he performed, whether it be the classic rabbit-out-of-a-hat or something completely new. Doves appeared out of flames; people were cut in half, their bodies later sewn together by an invisible thread; cards disappeared under the magician's hands, only to reappear in someone's pocket; women seemingly levitated without the aid of strings. Music played hypnotically from the back of the stage, large speakers spreading ethereal tunes and soothing human ears. The theater was draped in blinding darkness, except for the piercing white and ocean-blue lights that shone and shimmered on the stage.

After an hour of spectacle and exhibition of the seemingly-impossible, the illusionist raised his right arm. All fell silent and still in his command. He then raised a microphone to his thin lips.

     "For my final act," he announced, "I need a volunteer from the audience. Who would like to help me?"

A sea of hands arose from the crowd. They waved erratically and chaotically, like confused fishes in a stormy sea, many of them shouting at the top of their lungs. Adam nudged Mary gently and got her to raise her hand. A short moment of pondering was all it took for the magician to point his finger at Mary and say, "Will you join me on the stage?"

The spectators gasped audibly. Some of them whispered jealously to each other, eyes narrowed at her. Nevertheless, they clapped for her as Mary stood up and walked onto the stage.

     "Good evening, madam. What's your name?" he greeted her.
     "My name's Mary," she replied.
     "Mary, huh? A lovely name for such a lovely lady! What a nice outfit you have there. Is it in your favorite color?" he asked.
     "No. My favorite color's red," she answered. The illusionist lifted a large black cloth from the ground.
     "I can change that for you." He wrapped her entire being in the cloth before instantly removing it. Mary's leaf-green summer dress transformed into a long, flowing, rose-red gown. The audience clapped, cheered, and whistled en masse. He held her hand as they both bowed.
     "But wait! This is not over yet," he said. He gestured to a small, circular platform. He led Mary to it and made her stand inside it. She didn't know what was going on, but she felt rather enthusiastic.

Smoke emerged from the floor and engulfed her. Mary felt the floorboards collapsing below her as she fell into some sort of compartment. Before she could clamber out of it, a lid sealed her in.

To her, she just fell through the floor and got locked inside. From a spectator's view, however, she apparently vanished. The crowd erupted in applause and threw roses onto the stage as the magician waved and bowed.

By seven o'clock, the crowd had already dispersed. Dozens headed to nearby restaurants to grab a quick dinner, hundreds more lingered around the theater's compound, while the rest drove home. Adam was alone in the theater, sitting quietly and waiting patiently. Mary hadn't returned. He retrieved his cellphone from his pocket and dialed a number.

The door swung open. Adam glanced to his right. A gang of delinquents entered the theater. There were about four or five of them, each one wearing dull jackets and clothes in dark shades of blue, black, and grey. Adam didn't know who they were, nor did he care. All he wanted was to see Mary again.

The lights switched off as the sound of a lock clicked audibly.