Maybe you'll change

Many years ago
I was always smaller than the other kids but I had the guts to do what no one else would do. Punch the town bully, steal food for my family, pick a fight with an elder for being wrong. You name it!

I'd gone from the town sweetheart to the village disgrace but not that I cared, I knew what I wanted out of life unlike the other kids. I wanted to be the one in control and not to stand behind a man nor be his toy, even if I worked my whole life to have it, I would.

I must've been 9 coming back from a hunt when I saw my brothers fighting again, I grew up with three, mother had fallen ill and it had been forced upon the children to get the money needed for medicine so I stole, Favian bargained, who knows what Ulric did and Berinon...Berinon fought. "Isabel! Over here so we can take a look at those carcasses" my feet wobbled under the weight of the adolescent buck I'd been carrying

"Merek, what'd I tell you? That girl will never come home with anything bigger. You can count your dreams of her bringing home a direwolf crushed" I pouted at my uncle's remark "I'll do it father! One day but I'll do it! When I'm big and strong"

He seemed happy with my kill but the truth was that I loved the wolves too deeply to strike one down "and on that day, there won't be a prouder man in the mountains than I will be of you"

The three boys were still conflicted when they came inside with their earnings "that's it?! One buck?! And it's not even full grown! You idiot!" Favian went to grab me when Ulric pushed him away from me "she's just a kid Fav! What's she gonna do?! She's doing what she can. Back off!" I threw myself under the table as the fight kicked off as Bernion attempted to separate the two. Punches were thrown in all directions until all men were involved, I took the opportunity to slip into mother's room to hide.

"Isabel? W-what's going on out there?" Her voice was weak as she laid fragile and almost motionless "nothing, Mama" a small smile came across her face as neared the bed "look at you, my big brave girl. You have to stay strong for me, okay? I'll tell you a little secret about the wolves...they only attack those who they perceive as a threat, they accept those who they don't" and then I was dragged out of the room.

I decided to test the theory for myself even though it could risk my life. I managed to sprint out the door despite all who tried to grab me and ran straight into the woods "I'm going to get a wolf!" Those were the only words that would allow me to go freely. But it wasn't too long before I was completely and utterly lost in the darkness as the cold set in, the fear of my actions steadily sank in, what was I doing?! Being accepted by wolves only happened in myths and legends!

As I went to turn back in the direction I thought was home, I faced the very creature I sought out to find. Without thinking, I kneeled in the snow with my eyes down laying my hands palm up showing that I was unarmed before waiting for my death...but it never came. In my peripheral vision, more wolves snuck out of the shadows surrounding me like fog rolling in.

Once I understood that we were both just doing what we had to in order to survive, I realised our situations weren't very different. We both kill in order to live, we both live in groups and we were both scared. I screwed my eyes shut as I felt one edge closer to my face sniffing my hairline just to make I wasn't a danger to its pack, and I wasn't.

Whining filled the air as I opened my eyes slowly while the wolf pushed itself under my hands begging to be stroked so I started slow and gently gaining their trust fully before I did anything too drastic. After all, they were still wild animals and capable of killing a child without a second thought

After a few hours, one led me close enough to home that I recognised the area, so I left feeling achieved with my connection. I'd most likely be thrown out of my family discovered it so I kept quiet at dinner as insults were thrown my way - of course they were disappointed with my lack of wolf

But I made a promise and I intended to keep it...