1 | An all-nighter with books

A blue Monday. A great start to the week. With all the assignments that I had probably crammed up for the Sunday night, panic starts rising into me.

I probably should have completed them last night.

Although it's nearly 3.30 AM, in the morning, it's kind of a mixture of Sunday night and Monday morning.

My head is already pounding with all the distress that this pile of books causes to me, so I go to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee.

As I tiptoe to the kitchen, trying to be invisible to my mother because, she doesn't like to see my brother and me awake past midnight, I glance outside the kitchen window. It's dark, but it's blue. The black is reduced to blue by the moon and the stars, and nothing can be more beautiful.

As I stir the sugar into my coffee, I try to recall whatever I have studied, for in case there is a surprise test, I am well-prepared.

I tiptoe back to my room, and set myself on the study table, yet again.

My eyes drift to the faint light coming from the house, in front of mine. Maybe, it's Darshan's room. Hell, obvious. It's his.

I have noticed several times, that his light of the room remains on for most of the night. Not that I am a stalker, but, it's hard not to notice the light in darkness while I get up in the middle of the night for bathroom, or when I am hungry or something of that sort.

It's hard to believe that we once were good friends when we were 5 to 10 years old, considering the fact that, we stopped talking after that. He was busy in his own world while I drifted off to mine. We just used to share smiles and greetings in the hallways.

But, now that also has stopped for the number of girls fangirling on him. I would end up getting into trouble, so I decided to ignore him. Not that, we used to talk or something, but now, we barely even looked at each other.

I hear footsteps coming towards my room and I abruptly, close my laptop and push the assignments back. As for the coffee, I hide it behind the books. The steps seem to grow nearer and so, I switch the light off and jump under my covers facing the wall to pretend sleep.

“Shiv... ”, I hear the door creak open while my mom stood in the doorway. Not that I see her, but I assume and hope that she is in the doorway.

Her footsteps seem to come nearer and I freak out, if she sees the coffee mug.

“Oh, she is asleep. Must be Rudra then”, I hear mom mumble and I mentally sigh in relief.

She gets up with the faintest of noise. As she was going back, the phone alarm goes off.

Talk about timing.

Pretending to have just awoken from the noise, I wander my hand to get my phone. When I do, I slide down the button and pretend falling asleep again.

But, I get up anyways, five minutes later.

I look at mom in the doorway eying me.

“Oh, mom. What are you doing here?”, I ask casually, in a half-asleep voice and pretending that my eyes are drooping.

“Why did you have your alarm set so early?”, she asked, her eyes thining into slits.

“Oh. I have a test coming up, so I decided to study”, I give her an assuring smile to show her that I am out of sleep, by now.

Her face relaxes and she gives me a smile.

“Well, that's good. But don't get too much into it that you forget to take care of yourself”, she smiled at me and I nodded in response while she slipped out of my room.

Coffeé is much needed right now or else I will fall down sleeping any moment soon.

I finish the coffeé and go to the kitchen to get another cup of coffeé. But, now I am more confident though.

Caffeine takes a toll on me.

For the next of the night...morning, whatever, I stay awake completing my assignments.

It's six a.m, that I complete all my assignments. My shoulders are stiff from all the work I had been doing non-stop.

Now, I should stop procrastinating. That's what I say to myself everytime but damn, I end up living most of the life cramming up everything the night before an important event.

I wonder how Darshan does it, though.

He is the captain of cricket team. He is the lead singer in the school band. He is the topper in studies. He has got looks, despite his disheveled hair plopping onto his face and sometimes, he looks like, he had just gotten out of bed. That causes his fangirl to swoon over him, more, though.

Even if he gets beaten down by children who are jealous of him, he doesn't speak a word to them, like he understands their point of view. You will never find him arguing to anyone about himself. And, that I believe causes him more trouble.

There is time, right now. Should I sleep?

No, school is in exact an hour.

I decided to take a cool shower before showing up at school.

It is just then, that Rudra throws the door of my room open and I could imagine him in rage.

Aa-oo

“You said mom that I was awake last night?”, he asked, venom dripping from his voice.

Not this early in the morning.

“I don't know, she assumed it, I guess. And you know, mom's assumptions are truth for her”, I shrug.

He doesn't argue though.

“Wasn't it you last night who went to the kitchen?”, he said dropping his head into his hands and jumping on my freshly made be.

“I don't know what you are talking about”, I shrugged and kicked him from the bed, so he would land up on the floor.

“Ouch, Shiv, that hurts. I will say mom that it was you who sneaked into the kitchen”, he threatened.

“Do you have a perfect alibi, though? I have. Mom came into my room last night, or this morning, to be honest”, I flashed him my pearl white teeth which were yet to be brushed.

“Aghh... You are the witch from the fairy tales they preach”, he said and I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

“I don't believe in them though”, I shrugged as I picked up my toothbrush from the stand.

“Now, you go and let me brush”, I shoved home out of the room.

“You are weird”, he commented before being thrown out.

“But mom likes me more”, I stick my tongue out to mock him as I go into the bathroom.

The warm shower calms me down, though.

A whole some breakfast prepared by mom cheers me up.

And, off to school, my feet are.

†.†.†.†.†.†

//This is the very first chapter of the book. To be honest, I don't have a plot for it... But, they say that unexpected things come to those who make the expected moves... So, shower your love for me, yet again.
I plan it to be a book of nearly 20 K to 30 K words.. But, in worst case scenarios, it will be 45K + words.. Hope to get your love... See y'all soon... Wanted to start on 15th, but couldn't wait... Hehe.. 😝///