Prologue 1

Disclaimer: I give James Dashner full credit for the Maze Runner Trilogy. The only character I own is Kelley.

"Teresa, please. I have to do this. I can't stand living like this anymore." I grabbed her by the arm, "You have to help me."

"Kelley, calm down. The test subjects will be fine. You don't need to go down there. Not to mention you'll lose all of your memories. Do you really want to forget everything you've done with me and Thomas?"

I scoffed at her remark, "Of course I don't want to forget you two. You're the only friends I have. Especially you, Teresa. You've helped me so much that I could never thank you enough for it...."

She waited, anticipating my next words, ".....but?"

"But I can't stand this life anymore. Everything I love is gone now."

She looked at me incredulously, "What about Lucy and James? They need you don't they? You can't just leave them here while you go prancing around in the maze."

I snapped my head towards her, "Cut the crap. I know you know what happened to them. They're gone because of everyone here at W.I.C.K.E.D. Nothing can save them now. I was supposed to protect them, to be the big sister I promised my parents I would be."

Tears fell down my face and my hands started shaking, "But I couldn't keep them safe, even while they were here under my care. You know how hard I've worked with you and the others to find the cure. To analyze the data from the subjects' minds and run as many algorithms as I could. Finding patterns, searching for answers so that they could finally live like everyone else gets too."

I sat down in a chair, the walls of the office seemed to cave in on me.

"I gave up so much..." my chest started heaving with sobs, "so much."

I felt a hand on my shoulder, "I know you did. We all know how much you've given to our cause. Even Chancellor Paige has recruited you for the most difficult parts of the trials. We can do so much more for the world, Kelley. Think of all the people you can save."

I looked up at her, "You really believe that don't you?"

"You know I've believed it ever since I arrived."

"But... but what if there is no cure, Teresa? What if this is meant to be the end for humanity? What if we're just torturing these kids for nothing?"

"Kelley, don't think like that-"

I stood up and forced her hand off of me, "No! Teresa, what have you given up for this cause? What have you sacrificed in order to give you're all to W.I.C.K.E.D.?"

She looked surprised, "I... uh... well, I don't think I really-"

"That's right. You haven't had anything taken away from you. You weren't forced to make adult decisions before you were old enough to tie your shoe. You've been praised ever since the start and treated like royalty. You don't know what it's like to lose everything you love and try to look for a reason to keep moving on." I looked away, "He's been gone so long... I just want to be with him again."

"Look, I know you hurt. I know you miss him and you have a right to, he's been gone for a long time-"

"Two years is more than long, Teresa. Especially when he's literally right there. When there are so many ways to just run in and never let go of him... Especially when he can't even remember who you are."

"You're right, he doesn't remember you, and if you go in you won't remember him." She moved to face me, "You'll forget not only W.I.C.K.E.D. but every sweet moment with him and your siblings. Do you really want to forget how you would sing Lucy and James to sleep and tell them bedtime stories? Do you really want to forget the way he would hug you or the first time he kissed you?"