CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

LAINE

I land back at Leeds Bradford airport and go straight to my parent's house. The past twelve hours a total blur. After roaming the neighbourhood that surrounds Zena's house the other day, I came across a taxi rank that I practically sprinted to after the humiliation of Theo breaking up with me.

I want to be mad at him. I want to scream that he's wrong, but how can I? The reasons for him asking me to leave may hurt, but I understand. I get that he's in a dark place right now and that maybe he isn't thinking straight.

And I can't imagine the fear of losing someone you love from such a cruel illness.

"Laine, my love," says mama when she opens the door to me, resting a hand on my shoulder when I pass her.

I let my bag strap drop from my shoulder and onto the floor, rubbing my sore eyes a few times. "Is George asleep?"

Leading me through to the kitchen, she grabs a glass and fills it with crisp water, giving it over. "Yes, for about an hour. Baby, do you want to talk about it?"

I gulp the cool liquid down my throat, going over to refill the glass when one doesn't satisfy my dry mouth. "I just need some time, mama."

Ripping some kitchen towel from the big roll in the corner, she mops up the dribbles on the shiny marble top. "That's fine. Are you hungry?"

"I ate on the way home," I say, still suffering from a sensitive stomach. "How long does food poisoning last?" It's the only explanation I can give to my constant trips to the toilet.

Pulling open the fridge, she grabs the pot of cottage cheese and slices of melon to make herself a plate of food. I turn away when the sight of the sloppy cheese sends a wrench from my throat.

"I don't know. Your Opa got it once and was unwell for several weeks. Why do you ask?" she says, slipping some melon into her mouth.

Yeah, I need to look away. I busy myself with getting more water. "I think I ate something I shouldn't have when I was away. I've been throwing up for nine days straight."

She frowns. "Then we should get you booked into the doctors' first thing tomorrow. Salmonella can be very serious."

"I already booked an appointment online," I say, reaching into my pocket to shamelessly check my phone for any messages from Theo.

There's two, and several missed calls.

Guilt eats at me.

Teddy: I couldn't find you anywhere. Just let me know that you got to the airport okay?

Teddy: Let me know you got there safely. Please, Laine. I called the airport, but they wouldn't disclose any details with me.

Not wanting to keep him guessing, I message back to let him know that I'm home and safe, but I do close my phone off for the night because I need to switch off as well. It's been one hell of a day...or two.

Mama steps forward and strokes the side of my face, eyes studying my expression in a way only a mother can. "You're pale. Do you want for me to run you a nice bubble bath? It's just you and me tonight as dad is away with the Total Corporations."

Feeling a rush of warmth in my chest, I grab onto it the feeling because I know that it'll be a fleeting one. "How about I grab a quick shower and then we watch movies in bed?"

She nuzzles into my hair. "Sounds perfect, but, Laine, I am here to talk if you need to, okay? I know how much Theo meant to you."

Mama," I whisper, shaking my head. "I just want to forget tonight ever existed. I want a hot shower, maybe some wine and Ryan Gosling to keep me occupied."