Chapter V

In my car, I followed the ambulance to the hospital.
Since Lily was taken to the ER to be stitched up, I made myself comfy in one of the chairs in the corner in the room. Shockingly, it was already nine in the evening. I guess time does pass quickly when you're distracted, even in life-or-death situations.
I was so dizzy from today. In an attempt to steady my vision, my eyes fixated on the large fish tank containing vibrant fish. My thoughts about White Oak wouldn't leave my head. If Lily had seen the man before, why didn't she scream for me? He obviously was going to come in, and definitely not to talk about enrollment for a child.
I felt a sharp tap on my shoulder and my thought bubble popped. I look up to see a stern looking nurse staring down at me.
"Are you here for Ms. Lily McCarthy?" She said flatly.
I nodded. "Yes. Is she okay?"
"She's fine, but she needs to stay a couple days. Were not allowed to have visitors until tomorrow evening. You can go home and come back after noon."
I thanked her and headed out of the waiting room swiftly.

The next morning, I woke up in the dark guest room. Dana had let Isla and I spend the night after she found out that I had been held at knifepoint. I sat up and checked my phone: 11:30 am. I turned to face Isla, who was still fast asleep with her Rainbow Brite doll crushed in her arms.
I had waltzed in at midnight, and I was exhausted. By now, Dana would be awake working. Carefully, I eased my way out of the bed so I wouldn't wake Isla. When I walked out of the bedroom, the bright lights of the hall blinded me from being in darkness for so long. I went downstairs, the smell of pancakes making my mouth water.
"Good morning Abi!" Dana called from the stove. After being friends with her for so long, I have taken a liking to the nickname. Not many people actually call me by it though.
"Morning," I yawn, ambling into the kitchen. Dana hands me a plate with a stack of golden pancakes as I sit down at the breakfast nook. After decorating my breakfast with butter and syrup, I take my first bite. I savor the flavor.
"You always make the best food," I compliment, already onto my second cake.
She smiled and put her hands on her hips. "You know I do!"
I laugh. "Come sit."
"Okay, give me a minute."
Soon enough, Dana sat down at the table with her breakfast and brought some coffee for both of us.
"Now," She started, her expression going from calm to serious. "What really happened last night?"
I took a deep breath and explained everything, from seeing the truck to watching J attempt to murder Lily. When I finished, she placed a hand overtop mine.
"Abi, I wish you hadn't gone through that. It's traumatizing just listening to it."
"Yeah," I agree, not really listening to her condolences. Suddenly I don't want to talk anymore. I still haven't mentioned to her that J knows Isla's name and threatened to hurt her. Out of the corner of my eye I see Dana eyebrows scrunch up and her chin in her hands; her signature way of thinking.
"Why haven't you talked to the police?" She said softly, as if talking to a child on the verge of tears.
"You know the police don't particularly like us, you know" I remind her, my words coming out harsher than I meant.
My eyes begin to water. "And besides, I don't want Isla to somehow get involved. She's smart enough to know something is wrong."
I paused, then added, "I don't want to lose her too."
When Isla started at White Oak, she had to make a poster of her favorite things. I was helping her glue on family pictures when her crayon suddenly stopped moving. Her eyes were glancing back and forth between the group of Christmas And Easter photos we had taken in previous years.
"Mommy?"
"Yes?" I question with concern edging in my voice.
"Why don't I have a daddy? Lucina and Marlie have dads."
My breath caught in my throat. Why hadn't I expected her to ask this?
"Um- Well, he's-"
"Is he in heaven?" She asked, her naive blue eyes looking up at me. Bryan had blue eyes just like her. For a while moment it felt like I was looking at him, the first time in four years.
My body froze completely, and it was a full minute before I responded. I smoothed out her hair softly.
"Yes sweetie." I reveal, and this time tears don't fall. Something in me was glad she knew the truth. Isla didn't say anything, but she smiled and said, "I still love him."